Uh oh... Locked myself out with SRP!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Gullible Jones, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. While implementing SRP via the registry on Windows 7 Home Premium, I accidentally locked myself out by enforcing it for local administrators. Now I cannot execute anything as admin - not Regedit, not cmd, not System Restore, nothing. Pretty powerful, that. :p

What are my options, short of restoring from backup?

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

The easiest way to fix Windows is usually to boot Linux. =p Mount the drive and change the configs manually I'd think.

3. Hmm, how would I edit the registry from Linux? Wine's "regedit" can't import registry hives IIRC.

Edit: Perhaps I could use a BartPE CD? Is WinXP's regedit compatible with Windows 7's registry?

(Alas, I would have to make a BartPE CD, as I don't even have one on hand right now. Bah.)

4. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Can you create a batch file to import what you need to reverse the key?

Perhaps something like Ultimate BootCD may be of help.

5. Don't think so. Can't run anything whatsoever as admin, as far as I can tell, nor can I log in as my local admin. To add insult to injury, the default settings block batch files.

Edit: UBCD4Win is probably my best bet, but I'd have to create one. Ah well. I was hoping there'd be a better way.

(Though in retrospect I should not be surprised. MS was clearly not kidding around when they implemented SRP.)

6. whitedragon551

Usually you can run batch files without admin privileges. The files just need to be local for example using a batch file to install an .msi package.

7. Yeah, but the registry values that need to be edited are locked down to administrators. :p

8. whitedragon551

Try ultimate boot cd. I believe it has a registry editor from the disc or usb drive if you can boot from them.

9. Zorak

Zorak Registered Member

You should be able to start the computer in safe mode, then log on as local administrator and change the software restriction policies from there. As far as I was aware, SRPs aren't active in safe mode.

10. Thank you, Safe Mode worked! However, the requisite PolicyScope DWORD value was already set to 1, as it was supposed to be. It looks like the value is being entirely ignored... Any idea why that might be?

11. Okay, SOLVED. Problem was TransparentEnabled being set to 2, to enable DLL filtering. Apparently this is much more involved, so I'm leaving it turned off for now... Maybe later, once I figure it out.

Meanwhile, I seem to have accidentally totaled my original administrator account - for some reason it can no longer log in at all outside of Safe Mode, though I can run stuff as admin fine from my limited account. No idea what happened there. :mad: No biggie though, I'll just create another.

Edit: Aaaand we are fixed. Still clueless re what happened to the old administrator account, but everything now works fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2012
  12. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Glad everything turned out OK. :D

13. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Do yourself a favor and make a system backup before you go much farther.

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I LOL'ed.
    I have never locked out myself with SRP but i did turned my PC into a pile of useless hardware once when i was messing the user privileges. (Folder Properties) :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.