Ugh! Strange problem validating a backup archive - HELP!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by diverlee, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diverlee

diverlee Registered Member

I'm having a problem using the ATI Boot disk to validate a backup made from the desktop environment.

I used ATI 9.0.3677 from the desktop to backup my 80GB system drive (c: drive) to a 40GB backup drive (d: drive), both drives are Western Digital standard EIDE drives, and I split the archive files into 2Gb .tib files. I then copied the two resultant files to my Western Digital MyBook 500GB self-powered external USB drive.

My system is an Asus P4P800 SE mobo using the Intel 865 chipset. I also have an additional 500GB SATA raid drive(s) for storing edited video files, but I don't believe that is a factor in this problem.

All backup files on both the internal and external drives validate just fine when using ATI from the desktop.

When booting from the ATI BootCD, made using ATI 9.0.3677, I can validate the files on the internal backup drive in both safe and full modes. However, I can't see my external USB drive in safe mode.

When booting from the ATI BootCD, made using ATI 9.0.3677, in full mode I can see the .tib files on the external USB drive, but I get error E00070020, "corrupt archive" when attempting to validate. Surprisingly, while in that same mode, whether I reboot or not, I can validate several other .tib archive files on the external USB drive previously copied from a second PC! Those files were also backed up also using ATI 9.0.3677 with the archive files split into into 2Gb files.

Why would archive files copied from the same computer to an external USB drive not validate when using the BootCD, but other archive files copied to that same external USB drive from a second PC and using the same build of ATI, will in deed validate using the same BootCD? Go figure.

So then I burn the files from the external USB drive (files I couldn't validate using the BootCD) to a DVD using the desktop and Nero. Lo and behold, after booting from the BootCD in both safe and full mode, I can validate those supposedly corrupt files that were later copied to DVD. Go figure!

Trying to narrow the problem further, I attempted to boot from the second PC using the ATI BootCD to validate the same archive files on the same external USB drive. I could boot into the safe mode and verify the archives from an internal backup drive, but I could NOT see the external USB drive. And, I could not even boot the second PC into the full mode. But, that's a problem for another thread.

I suppose that some might argue that I can simply off load the archives to DVD. True, but at some point the archives may need to span more than one dual layer DVD, and I wanted to avoid the whole silly scheme of having to flip flop the last CD first.

I would appreciate any help and I thank you in advance. It is not my intent to play "stump the expert". I'm just frustrated, lost and not sure what to try next.

A loyal ATI fan, Lee.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Yes, that's exactly right. The USB drivers are not loaded in Safe mode, so unless your mobo's BIOS supports the USB drives (which it doesn't), you can't access the USB drive.
    It appears that the USB chipset on your mobo is not fully supported by the TI Recovery CD. Unfortunately, this is not all that uncommon. As a result, reading large files on the USB drive resutls in errors and failed verification.

You might try making an image and splitting it at 700MB to see if a smaller file size will allow verification when booted from the Recovery CD. If that fails, then a Bart's PE boot disk is another alternative.

If you are willing to spend some money, you could install a PCI USB card that uses the NEC USB chipset which is supported by the Recovery CD. Adaptec PCI cards use NEC chipsets in my experience.
    That's indeed harder to understand since the files are all 2GB. I don't have an explanation.
    That's not unexpected since reading the files back to write to DVD is done under Windows with the Windows USB drivers. Reading and writing to the USB drive works, but only in the Windows environment with the Windows drivers. That's why the Bart's PE boot disk should work - it uses the Windows drivers.

3. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Diverlee, jmk94903 is right on about the drivers. This is a very common issue with the Linux Rescue CD. Try a BartPE CD http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ with one of Mustang's plugins http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/. Follow the guide for building a CD written by Mustang http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/BartPEGuide/BartPEGuide.htm.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I have a P4P800 with the 865 chipset, it is just a P4P800 no SE or Deluxe or whatever on the end. It works fine with my 2 USB enclosures, a DataOne and a Vantec. I normally split my files at 1492 MB for possible DVD writing but I just did a test with the Vantec and created and successfully validated a 4.75GB compressed tib file using the TI 9.3677 boot CD.

It could be something with the chipset used in the USB drive. Did you use the rear USB ports since they usually have shorter cables and may make a difference.

5. diverlee

Thanks seekforever. Yes, after having bad luck with the front USB ports, which are just chained by a cable to one of the ports in the back, I used a rear port.

Thanks jmk94903. When it comes to finding solutions, I typically get out my wallet. I appreciate the advice on a chipset that has proven workable.

Thanks Thomasjk-

I tried building a BartPE last weekend with dismal results. The PC booted fine, but I couldn't see ANY drives attached. Maybe with Mustang's guide I'll have better luck with the BartPE. I had success in the past with Ultimate Boot CD and tried to simply add the ATI Plugin to that project, but all I got was a BSOD while booting.

In my original post I indicated:

"When booting from the ATI BootCD, made using ATI 9.0.3677, in full mode I can see the .tib files on the external USB drive, but I get error E00070020, "corrupt archive" when attempting to validate. Surprisingly, while in that same mode, whether I reboot or not, I can validate several other .tib archive files on the external USB drive previously copied from a second PC!"

What a mind blower. The USB chipset must be supported on some level, or I wouldn't be able to see the USB drive AND successfully validate .tib files from a different PC.

I think I'll try to create the backup again and see if I still get a corrupt message when booting in full mode.

6. diverlee

This time I paid closer attention. In the mobo's standard Power-On-Self-Test (POST), the mobo's Bios clearly shows and recognizes the external USB mass storage device. Problem with drivers, the Bios or mobo? I think not.

Well..., I re-imaged the backup from scratch, validated it from the desktop (and another computer), copied it to the still questionable Western Digital 500GB MyBook USB drive, revalidated from another compute's desktop and finally booted from the ATI BootCD in full mode for a final check.

Sure enough, the files on the USB drive validate just fine from the desktop (any desktop?) and safe mode. This time when booting from the BootCD into full mode using the ATI BootCD, the files on the USB drive were NO longer "corrupt". Nope, this time the problem allegedly was that I failed to include the "last" image file, although both of the two and only files were clearly visable.

I'm beginning to think the problem has less to do with my setup and Bios support and more to do with the inadequacies of the Acronis 9.0.3677 BootCD. Ugh!

I'm open to other thoughts. Shall I try to re-image again?

7. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

If you have your Windows installation CD, I would create a BartPE CD boot disk with the Mustang ATI plugin. You may need member Mustang's assistance to streamline SP2 but in your case but the results are worth the effort.

In another thread, I proved that with guidance and assistance it can be done.

8. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

If by UBCD you mean http://ubcd4win.com/, I use Mustang's plugin with that project and it works well for me.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello diverlee,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please compare the MD5 checksum (by means of eXpress CheckSum Calculator) of the backup archive stored on the internal drive with that of its copy on the external drive and let us know the results?
    If the checksums are different, then the issue most probably is related to the external drive and you could try to update the BIOS of the motherboard, replace the USB cable, use a FireWire cable instead of the USB one.

Please also create a new image archive (the file-based backup of approximately 1 GB of data) directly to external USB hard drive when Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running from under Windows and then validate this image both when the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running from under Windows and when your computer is booted from Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD.

After that create a new image archive (of the same data) when your computer is booted from Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD and then validate this image both when Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running from under Windows and when booted from Bootable Rescue CD. Let us know the results.

Please also perform Memory tests and inform us about the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.