UEFI Secure Boot

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by hogndog, Jun 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

I had to replace my motherboard after 6 years of good service, i replaced it with an Asus motherboard. Before when i installed Linux i used the Ubuntu Wubi installer and Mint4win installer by way of a virtual clone drive, my CD ROM is busted, well, that's all changed, i can't get Linux to install.. period.. Tonight i see this article and it makes me wonder if that's the reason?

http://www.slashgear.com/microsoft-under-fire-in-europe-for-locking-out-linux-26275335/

Tia..
    Hogndog

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

you tried setting the in the Boot Options to Other OS instead of Secure Boot?

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

That article is bollocks, because uefi is not a microsoft thing.
    Mrk

4. hogndog

I haven't tried that yet moontan, when it was booting up "for the third attempt" the window said something to the effect, there may have been a system crash or its possible the ISO file was dirty, gently shut down your computer start windows and run a chkdsk /r reboot and try again. Well, that's what i did which led me to this post..

Thanks guys..
    Hogndog

5. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

In order to install linux in a uefi system you *MUST* boot the installation medium (usb/DVD) in uefi mode.
    If you boot the installation medium in bios mode, it won't be able to use the uefi features.

Granted that you need a little bit of time to learn about and understand uefi systems, but I'm able to run any recent linux distro in uefi mode.

And I love it, the days of conflicting boot configurations are over. Windows won't dominate the system anymore.

Mageia 3 (recenly released) is the only distro I tried that still does not support uefi installation.

Check your installation medium and verify that it contains the /EFI folder. This means your uefi system will support booting from this medium.

6. hogndog

wilbertnl says
    Well sir time is on my side it took me some time to learn the ropes the first time around but it was time well spent. Looks like I'm in for a refresher course..;)

Thanks..
    Hogndog

7. hogndog

8. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I fail to see the relevance of this boot manager.
    There is no reference to uefi at all.
    Do you have any experience with the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface?

9. hogndog

No experience whatsoever, it was something i found while browsing the forums. Then tonight i found this from Linux Questions, they talk about the Asus Eee PC netbook.

Ignore the BIOS boot order, the boot menu overrides it temporarily, unless you want to boot from a USB stick every time it boots, changing it in the BIOS is not necessary. Just try it, instead of hitting F2 to go into the BIOS, hit Esc.

Every EeePC I've ever come across has the boot menu when you hit Esc, it is the easiest way to boot from a USB stick or SD card. I own two EeePCs, using a first generation EeePC 2g Surf right now, I've also got a 901, I've worked on probably a dozen others.

EDIT: F9 on an EeePC is the system recovery, not the boot menu.
    Last edited by elliott678; 03-25-2011 at 07:40 AM.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/ques...e-pc-netbook-booting-from-a-usb-stick-870921/

I'm leaning in that direction using a Universal USB Installer..

Thanks..
    Hogndog

10. hogndog

Wow! Linux Mint 13 Maya downloaded to that flash drive and works as it should, well, almost. I couldn't believe the ease, i had two choices in the USB boot order with or without UEFI i chose without. It went to a couple of screens, 1st had that row of green blinking lights saying Linux Mint 13, the 2nd telling me about some errors then went to the sign in window, when asked for my user name and password i thought uh oh, just as it was saying incorrect password the next window came up all green saying Linux Mint Maya, so it worked without root privileges? There were the icons "Computer" "Home" and "Install" but everything Is installed, i wasn't in there long i wanted to stop then go back to see if any work was saved. I used the Universal USB Installer to put Linux into a 4GB flash drive..

At least now we know it can be done with a Asus motherboard..*puppy*

Thanks for the tips guys!
    Hogndog

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.