UDP connections not visible in network connections ?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by sveinan, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sveinan

sveinan Registered Member

I'm trying out ESET Smart Security to replace my existing AntiVirus/Firewall. One thing I really like to have overview of is currently active connections and stats on them (Kerio Personal Firewall gave this). In that regard the 'right click' option 'Show network connections' is perfect. Gives excactly what I want... except. For some reason UDP connections do not show up. I've tried to find any settings or other things, but no luck. And it seems kind of strange because the Rules you can set in firewall do include both TCP & UDP.

Any tips ? Have I missed an obvious option ? Or have this been answered before ? I did try to search, but lower search threashold in vBulletin boards are 3 character words, not very practical for UDP ;)

2. GaryRW

GaryRW Registered Member

There is an option under "Connection view" to only show TCP traffic but its default is off.

3. sveinan

Now, this is embarrasing. Do not know how I missed that option. It was set to enabled[v], and with it disabled[ ] all UDP connections were shown.

But just for the curiosity I uninstalled ESET, removed entries under HKCU\Software\ESET (where the "ViewOnlyTCP" option were). Just to find out what the defaults are. Rebooted.

Then I installed it again. And one problem to the next. For some reason ESET "Smart" Security now do not manage to start its Firewall module. Get the message: "ESET Personal firewall initalization failed". Tried to run installation again, and choosing 'Repair'. Uninstalled again, reboot, install. Still same problem.

Unbelivable. Solve one problem, then get a new :( Although thx for the info on the TCP only option. Solved the reason for this post :)

Are there any 'cleaners' for ESET Smart Security installations ? That really cleans it all out, so I can get an installation from scratch ?

4. sveinan

After several tries on wiping / reinstalling / uninstalling I gave up. Unbelivable how much trouble AntiVirus/FireWalls sometimes creates. Would probably be better without. So I did a complete reinstall of machine. Got it installed now of course.

Just one final note. The following option is ENABLED per default:
    [v] Only show TCP protocol connections
    At least with the trial 3.0.650.0 installation I used. So for those who want to watch UDP connection. You need to disable / turn it off.

@GaryRW
    Thx for pointing me in the right direction.

5. GaryRW

GaryRW Registered Member

Now that you have UDP turned on, look for this:

"Detected DNS cache poisoning attack"

Not there? Check both Log's under Troubleshooting. Bet it's there now...... welcome to the jungle....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.