Ubuntu

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by DX2, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DX2

DX2 Guest

I'm going to try out Ubuntu. I'll dual boot until I understand Linux. The question I have is, when installing video card drivers, sound drivers and such, does these drivers have to be installed via terminal or konsole?

Also, is there a work around for installing Photoshop with Wine? I've read that the newest version of wine is causing a lot of errors when installing this.

2. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Hi if you need 3rd party drivers Ubuntu has a tool currently called "Additional Drivers" from System settings that installs most common devices, no command line needed usually.

Cheers, Nick

3. DX2

DX2 Guest

Thanks for the reply. When I try to install Ubuntu, I select format hd and install, but I get an error "Input/output error during read on /dev/sda". This is a new ssd with xp on it, should I format the drive prior to installing?

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Sounds like the disk image is messed up.

5. DX2

DX2 Guest

You was right,re downloaded Ubuntu and burned it again, installed fine this time, thanks. :D

6. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

Hey DX, I don't know about installing Photoshop, However you might like to try "Playonxlinux" it is a front end for Wine and auto configures a lot of things for you via scripts.

Also don't forget the free alternative! Gimp 2.8 is a really good program. It might take some getting use to but it's pretty damn good.

7. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

if you want basic program for photo editing

digikam shotwell and best is GIMP can do all :thumb:

8. GIMP is powerful (though not so much as Photoshop), but extremely difficult to use IMO. Then again I'm not a graphics artist.

For using Windows stuff on Linux, your best bet is probably a Windows VM (Virtualbox or VMWare, KVM is more for servers). Wine works for a lot of stuff, but sound and 2D graphics are problematic.

Re drivers, most of them should be compiled into the default kernel. The only ones you'll want to install are the video drivers (if using an ATI/AMD or nVidia card), and those can be gotten from the Ubuntu repository via the package management GUI.

(Ubuntu is an OS that tries to do everything for you, even more so than Windows. Whether it actually succeeds at that is another matter entirely IMO.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.