Ubuntu To Become The Official OS Of China

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

thanks for the heads-up m8! :thumb:

there's a few countries that got away from Windows, i don't know if it's for security reasons.
    i am also wondering if a custom made version of Ubuntu will make it easier for the Chinese government to spy on its own citizens...

nevertheless, this should be considered a good news for the Linux world i think.

3. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Good news for Canonical – adoption of an open source OS in preference to Microsoft\Apple comes as no surprise given the Chinese governments predilection for 'home grown' products. We've seen it with their Defence Industry (home made copies of Russian aircraft – military equipment) – vehicles – domestic products, etc. So a 'home grown' Ubuntu OS to confound Microsoft – Apple would have many in the Chinese administration chortling with glee!

I doubt there would be any more – or less, implications from a security perspective as the 'old guard' is still very much in evidence in China – no matter how 'open' China appears to us in the West!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't think this would confound Microsoft at all, seeing as how most likely about 95% of the Windows copies in use in China are pirated....

5. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

A valid point! - BUT – pirated copies bring no kudos (nor money) to Microsoft, etc and are not officially recognized (by the Chinese authorities) – whereas an 'official' home grown OS is\will be! ;)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  6. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

well i am not into politics so cant say much good or bad for open source future will tell

but yes there are some big changes like they are putting WPS(Kingsoft Office) officially which pretty much like MS office

so its going to big move for china people also photo editing ....etc many tools i guess its going to be something like iphoto clone or something maybe like adobe photoshop so pretty big changes for open source :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsoft_Office

7. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.