Ubuntu-powered Tablet Computers: Will they work or won’t they?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Sep 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I don,t think linux can stand th competition of iOS, Android and Window 8. Only if cronical becomes a hardware company too, there might be some chance. The reason given in article in favor of it are almost baseless.

In spite of this, Ubuntu and other linux distros must release their versions for tablets with support for tablet hardware like ARM processors etc and a real touch friendly GUI. It will be stupid to use the current GUI of Ubuntu or any other linux distro on tablets. As more and more tablets become mainstream, linux users will like to run their favorite distros on them.

Few days back, I made a thread about this issue but it did not get any attention here. :mad:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=306713

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Android is a Linux distribution. As for this, it's not that surprising with Microsoft doing the same thing, and Unity interface made for touchscreens.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

lol no, the only way linux ever gets mainstream is when it's completely torn to pieces and isn't recognizable anymore

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It's not that bad, I think more recognition is needed. Tell me how Ubuntu is harder than Windows or Mac OS X for someone who's never touched a computer before?

6. Hungry Man

Plenty of ways.

1) Buggier. Sorry, but linux has loads of bugs especially on laptops. Yeah, you might get lucky, but Windows has way better support across the board just because manufacturers provide drivers for Windows.

2) The fact that you can't ask a friend for help. Yes, if everyone used Ubuntu Ubuntu would be easier to use. No one does, so if you have an issue you have to go to some forum or do google searches for hours trying to figure things out.

3) IDK, I'm sure I can think of plenty more if I really tried. I'm not computer illiterate and even I get frustrated by linux distros.

Installing 64bit flash beta was a pain. I had to google search for proper instructions to get it working with Chrome. It was early on in the beta so there weren't that many articles and the fact that users HATE command line and love GUI's will mean that something like Ubuntu can never be accessible to the average user.

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Isn't 64-bit flash a beta even on Windows? Ubuntu doesn't require a lot of command line, especially for doing the usual things (surfing, watching videos, playing games, etc).

8. Hungry Man

It is a beta on windows. And installing it is very easy. It was only an example.

9. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Ubuntu flies on this AMD Netbook whereas in Windows 7 I almost returned it, enough said. Ubuntu works right out of the box with this fairly new Netbook. Its quite apparent you don't like Linux period, no need to hide that fact. You like slower BSOD filled virus trap world of Windows, enjoy it by all means.

Installing Flash 64 via sevenmachines ppa is a breeze, far easier than finding flash for Windows.

Btw, I haven't even tried to find faults on Windows, imagine when I start.

Linux can't sucker anyone for money so they can never ever be mainstream. However in the world of supercomps, its another story.

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

1) Hungry Man, why do you repeatedly generalize? If it is your experience, you are right in sharing it. But why do you generalize? That's not fair. You are right in that MS Windows has more drivers available but I haven't had any problems running Ubuntu with "Unity" on a Dell 1545 Inspiron which is more than two years old without any hardware mods. (I have bumped the RAM from 2 to 4 GB.)
    2) What do you mean by, "No one does"? Again, an unfair and unnecessary generalization. You are right that one has to "RTFM" or Google or ask in a forum. What's the problem with that? People using Ubuntu at the individual level maybe doing so voluntarily and may not mind. I most certainly do not mind. I do that for using the browser as well.
    Corporates adopting Ubuntu can get professional support from Canonical but I don't know anything more than that.
    3) The CLI v/s GUI is getting mitigated in a big way and becomes less of a problem as GUIs mature. Still, a comment like, "something like Ubuntu can never be accessible to the average user" is egregiously false.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.