Ubuntu Post Install Guide

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

here's how to setup Ubuntu so everything works once you have it installed.

Firstly, if you are burning an iso make sure you have the latest release, if you don't you'll have more updates to download and install when you first do an update. you can always get the latest iso from ubuntu.com here there's a link which shows how to burn an .iso too. if you need an .iso burner you can use one of these -
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/burncdcc.html
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/ISORecorder.html

OK, so the first thing to do when Ubuntu is installed is update the sources.list. about 90% of the programs you'll install with Ubuntu can be searched for and installed from the desktop. the soruces.list is just a text file which tells Ubuntu where to search, download, find the dependencies and install the software you're looking for from. here's what to do -

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=185758

Ubuntu is free - you can view and help develop the soruce code and you don't have to pay for it. because you don't pay and it uses software with free licencing it doesn't have support for things like mp3's adobe software and others like that. Ubuntu would have to pay to include them. so you have to install them post install. here's what to do (you've done the sources.list bit so just follow from SECOND STAGE : MULTIMEDIA AND PROPRIETARY/RESTRICTED FORMATS onward.)

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=186792

Notice how all his commands use sudo aptitude and not sudo apt-get the reason for that you can find out about below
    http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/aptitude
    so always just use aptitude instead of apt-get even if you are following a guide, or someone has told you to do apt-get.

that's it :cool: if you need any help the best places to find answers are the forums, the wiki and the IRC channel - irc.freenode.net #ubuntu (run xchat - alt-F2 xchat, fill in the names you want to use, click on freenode, then run this -
    /join #ubuntu)

i've used ubuntu_demon's links for two reasons, firstly to show you can find just about eveything you need on the forums, and secondly he knows what he's talking about :D there was a third reason too, but i've forgotten it now o_O

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Iceni60,

Thank you for the guide! :)
    The tip about using aptitude instead of apt-get will help prevent future problems when uninstalling programs.

3. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Thanks for the guide. I was thinking about installing Ubuntu later on, on another machine, and this should help with the setup's.

4. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    Nice guide Iceni60, thanks. I used GnomeBaker to burn the .iso, i didn't have one yet.

Lamehand

5. Lamehand

Oops, that went wrong in a bad way, I tried to boot the .iso a made with GnomeBaker and it was a 'no go'.
    So i burned a second one with GnomeBaker, to be sure, again a coaster was produced.
    Now i've made one with ISORecorder and that one is working like it should.
    What went wrong in GnomeBaker?, did i use the wrong format maybe?

Lamehand

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i always use K3b for any burning, it does everything automatically for you. so all you have to do is select the iso, then tell it to burn it. it will know it's an iso and not just copy it to the cd/dvd. it's never not worked for me.

7. Lamehand

Oke, thanks, i will try that one. Producing coasters is getting boring.

Lamehand

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

9. Lamehand

Iceni, i've installed K3b and it works great, just tested the LiveCD and it works.
    It's indeed easy to use, burning a CD is made real easy, as it should be.

Thanks
    Lamehand

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.