Ubuntu Netbook Edition might drop Firefox for Chrome

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Dogbiscuit, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

Article

2. About time, you ask me. Firefox has been awful on Linux for way too long.

3. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Excellent decision, they should drop it for desktop as well, I only use Opera and Chrome and nothing else.

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Would love to see this as well, but given Ubuntu's repo update policies and how aggressively Chrome is updated, I can think of more than one way to screw up on the implementation.

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Although Opera is my main browser I need Firefox badly because my internet banking site does not support Opera 10x - only the 9x versions which have of course been superceded by the newer versions which have fixed security and other vulnerabilities.
    It's frustrating and I reckon there would be legal implications. I have written to them a number of times - today again. See extract:-

6. linuxforall

Ocky, have you tried online banking with Chrome?

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

linuxforall, Chrome is not mentioned in their recommended browsers for the site. You bet that if I should be the victim of some or other exploit I would have no recourse. I will probably try it to see how it behaves - with Opera 10x I can't even login ' invalid user or password'. Unfortunately in this country they all assume IE is the browser everyone uses and if one mentions Opera the webmasters are at a loss (for words) and tell you to go with the flow and use IE. :mad:

8. cet

cet Registered Member

The same is in my country too.

9. linuxforall

Well apart from IE, most banks allow FF, try changing your Opera's userid to IE or FF.

10. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I know Chrome (ium?) is the hot new browser, but I have not noticed a speed difference compared to firefox. Neither have I noticed Opera being any faster. I think the only browser that had a noticeable speed difference was K-meleon on windows. Of course, I always up the connections a little in Firefox, and also enable pipelining. Maybe I need to increase the refresh rate for my eyes (Doc, give me a sync to vblank).

11. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I have noticed a big difference in browsing speed. Chromium is simply much faster (WebKit is much better than Gecko). Of all the major browsers, the only browser slower than Firefox is IE.

12. tlu

tlu Guest

I suggest that you try version 3.6.5 from the ubuntu-mozilla-daily ppa. I find it significantly faster than 3.6.3. V. 3.7 a5 is also available - I haven't tried that, though. And v. 4 will get a new engine which will be much faster than Gecko. Besides, speed is not all that counts - configurability and extensibility are just as important, and here is FF still second to none. But I'm getting OT since this has been discussed in other threads here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.