ubuntu hardy heron aka 8.04 is here

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by clansman77, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

BTW, I have the final for almost a week now and so far there have been no updates, seems a bit odd to me. Ubuntu often updates 3 time a week. I was expecting a slew of patches for the new OS but nothing has come since the night of the 23rd. April.

Odd.

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Well, you gave me an idea, so I I installed Htop and it shows CPU at more like I'd expect - ~1.5%, as compared to System Monitor's ~20%. That is more like it :)

3. tlu

tlu Guest

Why do you like them better? (I've never tried them.)

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

:thumb:

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Just mho:
    PCLOS just works the developer is a master packager with a long and distinguished history. Some roots in Mandrake but improved +++. Robust, almost automagic. :)
    Never had a 'bug'.
    Friendly and very direct support, Update/upgrade protocols are very well thought out and applied.
    Immediately involving at a visceral level for me. Ridiculous really: just software : but cant help the involved feeling.
    If you have ever owned a Subaru you might know the same sort of feeling. lol.
    I only wish I had sufficient expertise to help the devs.

Mepis is a -heh- 'sort of better' Ubuntu: more DEB oriented. Also good support.

Also give Vector, Wolvix and Frugal a run: slightly more complex = Slackbased.
    Fast +++ and very useable.

LOL: I've gone from experimenting with security apps ad nauseam to dunking myself in *nix

Also cant escape some gravitational pull to PC-BSD. :D

Have fun.

6. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Been running this a few days now and I must say it seems a lot more stable on my system than Gutsy was.
    This is also my first taste of FF beta 3. Much better than version 2 on ubuntu. Even flash is behaving at the moment.
    All in all everything's running sweet. I just hope it continues.

7. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Flash is real slow for me, unusably slow.

8. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Ditched Xubuntu: not enough meat on the bones: found I was having to install a lot of "hybrid" type installs from gnomish utilities for file management, network stuff.

Not really a complaint: just an observation...

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the problem with linux is that you have to install java manually which takes quite a few steps and i dont completely understand the commands.
    otherwise its a nice distro
    this distro is the first distro that finds my wireless nic card.

10. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

With Hardy Heron it's very easy. Once you go to a site that requires it, you'll be prompted to install the plug-in, then the updater finds the right version, you select it, then the downloader does the rest. With Gutsy Gibbon it was like pulling teeth, since the manual option was the only choice.

Which version of Flash are you using? I found the non-free Adobe to work very well, better than the first one (don't remember the version) I tried.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i wasnt prompted to install java when i went to www.runescape.com and selected use sun java.
    it just showed the window that is ment to load and then stops.
    can you give me an example website that will prompt to install java and the updator selects right version and installs it?

somewebsites need flash and it takes me to the adobe website and asks me what version for linux i want to download and what i want to do with it?
    .tar.gz
    or
    .rpm
    or
    yum
    do i save the file or open it?
    what do i do then?

no wonder most people use windows..
    thanks in advance
    lodore

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  12. NGRhodes

I tried the free flash plugins, both buggy, the non-free adobe one worked but slow.
    I tried a mint livecd with firefox 2 and using the same version of the adobe plugin and same result, so I suspect the plugin is the issue.

13. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Are you using the Hardy Heron release, and does it have Firefox 3 beta installed? I ask because I found the java install is only easy to do if the Firefox 3 beta default release for Hardy is used. The java site that worked for me is:

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i used http://www.kubuntu.org/ and run it live.
    it doesnt have firefox 3 installing but it can be installed using the package manager.
    i can always install firefox 3 and then try if you think that will work.

15. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I see, you are running Kubuntu, whereas I'm running Ubuntu. I don't know if that would make a difference, though it seems it might because further you mention it installs Firefox 2 by default.

Yes, it probably will. I remember having only the manual java install option when I upgraded to Ubuntu and it still retained Firefox 2. Afterwards I wiped the slate clean (I could not for some reason get ver 3 to install overtop, even though Synaptic indicated it was there ?? ) and installed off the cd. Firefox 3 installed and then the java u[pdate was a piece of cake :)

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

HI wat0114,
    i will try that tomorrow.
    to tired tonight with lots of reboots from testing some software on windows lol.

17. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Hope it works out for you, lodore :)

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'm running PC-BSD 1.5.1 right now, it's pretty cool. Seems nice and fast, pretty simple. Download and install apps much like Win. I kinda like it too... :)

I will have to wait for some updates to Ubuntu 8.04 before I try it again. I just saw too many little issues here first time around.

19. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Just tried Ubuntu for the first time since v6 and I'm impressed. What no one has mentioned is the ability to install under Windows.

This allows you to try it out without partitioning your current drive (it installs it as a file and then treats the file as multiple partitions on an actual disk). This way you can update the drivers, run it as a full install vs. a live cd version, and only take a slight performance hit.

I installed it under Windows on a four-year old notebook. It automatically detected and configured my wireless and nvidia go video card. This allowed me to see if it would work properly with the existing hardware, which I could not determine from the live-cd version (since I had to reboot for the video card and wireless to work properly).

It does create a boot-loader so you can select Ubuntu or Windows at boot up. Another nice feature is you can remove it from Windows using add/remove programs and your computer is right back where you started.

20. Riverrun

Hi Kerodo,

Saw your post and I have a little query.

I'd like to try BSD. If I d/l the 'Main Installation CD, is that enough to give me the OS or do I need the second one as well?

21. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

The main install cd is enough to start off with. The second cd contains add on packages that can be added to the main installation. You can easily download and install these packages after the main installation.

22. Riverrun

Thanks for the reply, Farmer. I'm almost finished downloading the first CD via torrent. It's at 96 %. Been meaning to try BSD for some time now.

23. NGRhodes

My flash issue appears to affect swf that are complex, basic ones, like youtube and simple animations use with 5% cpu as win xp, but a game or something complex just maxes the CPU out.
    Anyhow, its perfectly useable.

Who is going to keep using Ubuntu/Linux ?

24. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Hi nickr,

could you provide a link to a site that causes problems? I'm curious to try because maybe I haven't stressed the Flash plug-in enough, yet. I did try hotwheels.com (my son's favourite ;) ) and did not see any problems briefly trying a couple of the games.

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Sorry for the late reply... looks like Farmerlee answered though. You just need the #1 CD, all else can be downloaded and installed as he mentioned.

I reinstalled Ubuntu 8.04 again just now, and this time I don't see any of the prior "issues" that I had 1st time around. I think I may have borked something the 1st time when I kept trying to update the repos while their servers were overloaded, then aboring, and so on and on. So far, I don't see even one single problem now. So that's nice...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.