ubuntu hardy heron aka 8.04 is here

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by clansman77, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Managed to download it today but most of the servers seem pretty overloaded. Installed tonight and it looks very nice, as usual. Going to stick with it I think. I wasn't able to update the repo's yet or install other software, but I think as soon as things settle down in a day or two, then everything will be fine. Just too much traffic right now. But this is one nice distro, currently my #1 choice...

3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I was only getting slow speeds, but it was done overnight and now on emule.
    Always handy to have as a good live cd.

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeh, servers seems pretty busy. I've been trying to upgrade gutsy but so far no success.

5. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

holding out on this end for the build "insatiable seal"

6. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Did an upgrade over night, took about 3 hours. Will have a play after work.

7. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

downloaded in less than an hour thru australia internode mirror and installed in a few minutes, really better than gutsy! :)

8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Ran the upgrade which took overnight. All seemed to go well except Firefox is still at 2.0.0.14. I thought it should upgrade to the 3.0 beta ?? I've no chance to check things out further until late this afternoon.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I did a clean install of 8.04 and got Firefox 3 beta 5 I believe...

10. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I'll be checking it soon. Too busy right now studying for LPIC-2 and writing a book ... Good news, got apache, dns, nis, and some more covered. 270 pages so far, har, har.
    Mrk

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

So far so good here. I've seen a few bugs, or perhaps just quirks, but nothing of much substance. Seems very nice, much like 7.10, which had no issues for me. This could be my final transition to Linux for good, not sure yet. There is always the temptation to return to Win for various reasons, but this looks like the one I could stick with... we'll see..

12. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

It's very stable but there seems to be a rather large memory leak in it and it doesn't appear to be as efficient in the way that it uses CPU as Gutsy. That's judging from the very flashy System Monitor though Conky gives somewhat similar results. I've been running it since Wednesday afternoon, got the final Wednesday night and since then there have been no updates which kind of surprises me.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

What makes you think there is a large memory leak?

14. Riverrun

I typically listen to Last FM or to my music collection on Exaile while I'm browsing and I might have the odd Torrent on the go as well. I never saw Gutsy exceed 45% RAM in the 5 months that I used it. Usually it operated at around 33% of RAM even while using the AWN Dock.

Hardy was using 20% more RAM for the same tasks all this morning.

Right now I'm downloading the 64 bit version of Hardy, scrobbling with Last FM and writing this in FF 3 and while memory has dropped back to 45%, it's still high compared to what I'm used to.

Incidentally, I'm not using any of the Compiz bling or the AWN dock ATM.

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ubuntu, and Linux distros in general will usually try to use up as much available ram as possible, a lot for buffers and caching, etc.. I have only 512mb here, but Ubuntu 8.04 is using over 500 of that, leaving nearly nothing. 7.10 did the same, as do most other distros on this PC. I'm not sure what usage would look like with 1 gig or more ram though. But Linux is fundamentally different from Win in that it will usually make good use of as much ram as it can for various things. That's a good thing.

16. tlu

tlu Guest

Upgrade from Gutsy via the Alternate CD went smoothly. However, I switched back to Gutsy in the meantime since I found no solution for the problem that my two harddisks were only running with UDMA2 due to this bug. Now they are again on UDMA5 and 6.:)

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, after a few days of use, I ran into a few glitches and bugs, and one very annoying one that caused Ubuntu to just hang on shutdown more than a few times.. So it seems there is some work to be done on it yet.. I am back to Win for now, but if I ran Ubuntu again, I'd stick with 7.10 for a while.

18. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I tend to agree. 8.04 just seems a bit sluggish compared to 7.10, though the proprietary nVidia accelerated driver has helped. However, unless I encounter any serious issues, I'll stick with 8.04, anyways.

19. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Why'd they release it if t'wasn't ready? :eek:

20. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I suppose they thought it was ready enough, and perhaps it is for most. Then on the other hand, they're on a 6 month April/October release schedule, so I don't think they could have delayed it much longer anyway....

21. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Personally i've found 8.04 to run fine so far. Only thing i've had to do was iron out some small bugs with virtualbox. Other than that its been smooth sailing. I did have problems with the upgrade from gutsy so i ended up just doin a fresh install of 8.04.

22. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

did a clean install of the 32bit version.everything is working perfectly and smooth.i think this is the best release for me so far..

23. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Well did the upgrade and my PC crashed. I really couldn't be bothered to find out the problem so did a clean install and all is working just fine. Has the usual great detection of networks, propriorty drivers, printers etc. Will keep playing.

24. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Xubuntu: going good.
    out with Totem in with MPlayer: all good, updated all good.
    All FF extensions ( and Ubuntu extensions) going well with FF3beta.
    ( even dev build of TabMixPlus stable; heh: stressed it with 60 open windows and fiddling about: nice)
    No HW issues in VMware install. No interest in whizzywindows or whatever.

( Still not as good as PCLOS or Mepis though. :D )

25. Riverrun

Mine is working really well now; it always was but System Monitor had been giving me false readings and I'm now using Htop in place of it and the CPU usage analysis it's showing is what I would expect. So Hardy is working normally.

I'm using Flock as my main browser, FF Beta 5 is consuming too many resources, it appears.

I can live with a couple of bugs. This release is far more stable than Gutsy was at the same stage.

I had big problems with Gutsy for the first five weeks what with Nautilus (crashing), FF (crashing) and Adobe Flash.

None of those problems have afflicted Hardy.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.