Ubuntu Design: Micro, Macro

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by vasa1, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

2. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Not quite sure what that article is getting at, especially with very little reference to examples or explanation of what he is talking about.

The issue over the different toolkits and minor differences in UI rendering - I would rather have minor UI differences between apps in exchange for superior functionality and stability that improves my productivity (if the UI sucks enough, it will effect productivity), that is the big picture we should be looking at.

I really don't understand the point about global menus and "integrating an application with the concept" - it just works (usually ;)) you build your menus as you always have done, the desktop takes care of screen placement.

Then he goes on about "If the Unity launcher is on a per-application basis, shouldn’t the best philosophy be to take that into accounting and suggest an application attempt to design their menus in accordance?"

That is a false statement as the Unity launcher is not per-application its a global desktop concept and what has a launcher got to do with application menus ?

Cheers, Nick

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

An easy way of handling this kind of articles is: TL ; DR.
    Mrk

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Is it only me, or everyone :) ..The abbreviations are killing me. :argh:

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Only you - you should read my trolling guide to get in the groove. TL ; DR stands for too long ; didn't read, as in no one has patience for more than 3 paragraphs of text and one pretty picture. Which is why I always tend to make articles as long as I can. Filters out the society, nice and deep like.
    Mrk

6. Mr. Y

Mr. Y Registered Member

I get around that by reading only the 1) beginning and 2) conclusion of your articles! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.