Ubuntu 7.04 & US Robotics Ext Modem help

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zapjb, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

In the G-PPP setup options put a check in the box Ignore terminal strings (stupid mode).

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks. Will try if it's there. There is a significant difference between the GUIs of Ubuntu v6xx & v7.04.

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

I haven't been looking too long zap and share a seat in the boat beside you as I'm also a novice when it come's to Linux, but I'm going to take FastGame's lead with G-PPP and suggest you take a look at this page to help pass the time between post's. The real learning curve is getting comfortable with the shell and it's many shortcut's.

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialPPP.html

Edit: I also though if you were able to connect using the hardware king Knoppix, perhap's one of our Linux experienced member's would know exactly which file's to open or command's to issue in an effort to return *working* configuration value's (ie: lspci -v for instance).

Steve

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

My ppp logs (tail /var/log/messages) right after a disconnect:
    I get 5 lines of code.
    MAY 18 05:34 ComputerName pppd[5376]:pppd 2.4.4 started by UserName, uid1000
    MAY 18 05:34 ComputerName pppd[5376]:Using interface ppp0
    MAY 18 05:34 ComputerName pppd[5376]:Connect:ppp0 < -- > /dev/tty50
    MAY 18 05:34 ComputerName pppd[5376]:Connection terminated.
    MAY 18 05:35 ComputerName pppd[5376]:Exit.

5. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

7. GlobalForce

8. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

tty50? Isn't it supposed to be ttyS0?

9. midway40

from http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Modem-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.4

10. GlobalForce

Hi midway40, how was it you came to determine something needed to be added to that string?

"Also I remember I had to add an initialization string AT&F1 to a USR external modem I had."

Steve

11. midway40

I once had this problem when I was trying Mepis and someone on it's forum suggested adding that string on a USR modem. The command resets the modem; I don't know why it worked but it did.

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

It's all so confusing. Especially to a Linux n00b like myself.

And that Ubuntu forum discussion linked was revolting. Like M$ without the $$$.

If I knew of a specific Linux distro that works with my specific modem I'd dl it.

I've played with this distro for 3 days on & off. And what a pita for dialup. Very frustrating.

13. midway40

In Linux, setting up dial-up can be frustrating. And to add to that the number of d/up users are dwindling so getting help can be problematic.

In reality, Linux is a broadband OS. To explain, when I first installed Ubuntu (Dapper Drake) it had over 200MB of updates to download. I wasn't about to tie up my phone that long so I had to take my tower to work to use it's broadband to update.

Broadband in Linux is a breeze, I never had to set anything up. Heck, you can get online just running a LiveCD.

In Windows all I had to do was to download Autopatcher at work, burn it to a disc, and bring it home to update my computer so I can spend my time browsing instead of updating.

But don't give up on Linux just yet, try out other distros. In my opinion PCLinuxOS is easier in setting up than Ubuntu is.

14. FastGame

I agree with this ;)

When I first started Linux it was Ubuntu because everyone said it was easy and the best....well I had the same problem as zapjb, I went back to XP. One day I downloaded PCLinuxOS and got on the net in 3 min. Been with Linux ever since.

IMO PCLinuxOS is easier, prettier, and all around better than Ubuntu, I also think Kubuntu is better for the new user than Ubuntu. Kubuntu didn't give me any problems with modem.

15. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

OK I'm dl'ng PCLinuxOS right now. After 4hrs 10mins only 41hrs 31 mins left. :eek:

16. sonic6k

sonic6k Registered Member

It would have been so much better if you have downloaded the full DVD of Debian. It's just 4Gb and includes a third of the whole software available for it! There is even a graphical installer for it now and it can install a desktop automatically, and it is also very easy to set up unless you have some funky new hardware which works with Vista only... But hey, whatever floats your boat ;)

17. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

You must be kidding. 4GB - 700MB = ~3.3GB more to dl. That'd add like 160 more hours. :eek:

18. sonic6k

sonic6k Registered Member

19. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Maybe. But I'm hoping on this one 1st.

20. FastGame

If I were you I'd stop the download, you're prolly getting TR4 (test release 4, which works fine) but 2007 final will be out in a day or two....

PM me a mailing address and I'll send you Linux Mint (KDE & Gnome versions) PC-BSD, Vector 5.8 SOHO, Kubuntu, Puppy 215 CE, PCLinuxOS 2007.

21. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

zapjb, you could search for "init strings for us robotics modem" in google and get an appropriate one for your modem and put that string in gnome-ppp.there is an option to do so.its how i did it when i used an ext modem with linux way back.i too had random disconnection problem like you mentioned and i solved it that way..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.