Ubuntu 7.04 & US Robotics Ext Modem help

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zapjb, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I posted this at the Ubuntu forum also.

My current hardware config is:

Processor
    1.85 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

HDS722540VLAT20 [Hard drive] (41.17 GB) -- C

BENQ DVD DD DW1650 [CD-ROM drive] -- E
    JLMS XJ-HD166S [CD-ROM drive] -- D
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive] -- A

Main Circuit Board
    Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7NVM400 Rev 2.xx
    Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1.00 11/25/2003

Memory Modules
    992 Megabytes Installed Memory
    Slot 'DIMM0' has 512 MB (serial number SerNum0)
    Slot 'DIMM1' has 512 MB

I have 2 modems.
    An internal Broadxent V.92 PCI DI3631-1 [Modem].
    And a U.S. ROBOTICS COURIER EXTERNAL 56K V.EVERYTHING MODEM. It's a serial connection.

I searched here, there & the web. I can't find clear, concise & easy instructions on how to use my U.S. ROBOTICS COURIER EXTERNAL 56K V.EVERYTHING MODEM with ubuntu 7.04.

Everything is incomprehensible to this Linux n00b. I get the the same headache after a few seconds trying to follow any Linux instructions. That I did working on my 1st OS win98se. Please help me.

I need basic you click on this, enter that etc., etc. instructions.

Preferably with step by step pictures. This is ridiculous. I feel retarded with Linux.

I want to dump windows. But I can't. I'm very knowledgeable in xp. I have never been able to connect to the internet with Linux! I went so far as to try to configure my winmodem - IMPOSSIBLE. So I bought a very highly reguarded external US Robotics modem, known to work with Linux. Got it to work in xp. Had to search & found an install .inf for XP on a U.S. Robotics site for my modem.

I currently have Ubuntu 7.04 installed on a spare HDD. And I have NO yes NO clue how to connect to my dialup ISP with my US Robotics external serial modem & Ubuntu 7.04.

Thanks.

2. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Does Ubuntu 7.04 now come with GnomePPP ? if not you need it. Guess Ubuntu doesn't think people are still on dial-up :rolleyes: atleast Kubuntu has K-PPP :)

Download GnomePPP and put it on your Ubuntu desktop, right click it and choose to install. Open G-PPP and add your ISP info. In Modem tab hit "Detect", make sure the connect speed is 115200.

If you need more help let me know, I don't have ubuntu installed but I'll load my Mint LiveCD and walk you through things.

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks.

But I'm so n00b to linux. I don't know how to open my floppy or cdrom drive to paste the file on the desktop.

4. sonic6k

sonic6k Registered Member

Hello!
    First time here :)

If FastGame's suggestion works for you (for your floppy/cdrom problem), then you have nothing to worry, but incase it didn't then you need to mount the floppy/cdrom manually. This is done in the Terminal using the Super User (a.k.a. root) account.

The best way to mount a device is to create a temporary directory for the device first, and then mount the device to that directory:
    I hope this helps :)

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  5. FastGame

Its under Places> Computer, they should show up and be mounted (mine are in Linux Mint)

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Did it. SEEMED to work. But Firefox didn't connect. US Robotics was squealing like it was connecting. But only 2-3 LEDs ramained lit. So no go.

What about this (Linux5630.01.02.04.B_V11.16.63.nope) I think its a driver file for Linux. I got it off the same US Robotics page as the XP .inf that worked. I think I'll try that later. Unless theres a better idea? Thanks.

7. FastGame

That modem works with every Linux distro that I know of.....doesn't need drivers.

Go into "Networking" and make sure the modem is set-up, and check "Enable" box, close and try G-PPP again.

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

You know. There is no NETWORKING. Theres like Network or Networks & Network Themes or some such. I'm supposing NETWORK will do.

9. sonic6k

sonic6k Registered Member

Try installing KPPP and use this configuration:

For installing KPPP you have to use Synaptic/Aptitude/apt-get.

10. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Just go into Synaptic Package Manager, click on "search" and type in: gnome-ppp

When you see it listed on the right, click on it and select "mark for installation" then click on the "Apply" icon in the menu near the top of the screen and let it install. Then just follow what FastGame said and you should be good to go.

11. FastGame

Thats nice guys, how does he do that if he can't get on the internet o_O

Ubuntu should come with GnomePPP to start with............

He's already installed G-PPP :)

12. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

In that case, do this:

In a console, type in: dmesg

to confirm the device is recognized and to which port it is assigned. In my case it was ttyUSB0.

Then just create symbolic link between that device and /dev/modem

In the console, type in: ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/modem
    (in the above line, substitute ttyUSB0 with whatever you find after using the dmesg command)

Put the right port (ttyUSB0 or whatever) in gnome-ppp and you're ready to roll.

13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

None of this makes sense. And my heads about to explode.

After a couple hours outside itrw. I come back. And not any of these posts make any sense. I got the same headache I had when trying computers for the 1st time (win98se).

How come none of this is straightforward. And why doesn't Ubuntu or any other Linux distro have a dialup walk through with pics?

When I installed G-PPP. There was like a button after listing all my ISP info. It said connect. I can't find that anywhere.

I do, very much so, appreciate all the help HERE & only HERE. Believe me. Nowhere else has deigned give me help. Only Wilders.

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Well I seem to connect for 2-4 seconds. Then quickly disconnect. Very weird. More suggestions appreciated.

15. FastGame

Thats because you don't have the modem setup and enabled in Network> Modem, or in Gppp> Modem you have the connect 'speed' set higher than 115200.

If I have to I'll load Ubuntu so I can post screen shots, but I hope you get it going before that :D

16. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I don't know. Going to call my ISP tommorrow on the weird off chance it doesn't work with Linux. If thats the case I'll get FRYS.com @$5.99/month.

Cause I already think I have it like this,
    "Thats because you don't have the modem setup and enabled in Network> Modem, or in Gppp> Modem you have the connect 'speed' set higher than 115200."

Thanks, I'm going to keep plugging.

17. FastGame

That could very well be the case if you need special software from ISP for dial-up, PeoplePC is not Linux compatible for this reason.

18. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

No, no special software is needed. Just UN/PW & access numbers.

It's just very weird that it appears to connect. Then disconnects within 4 seconds.

And new proposed ISP specifically states:
    We allow the use of UNIX and other alternative operating systems. In particular, we know that users of Solaris, RedHat, Debian, and Mandrake Linux are able to use our dial up service.

And my current ISP gives directions for connecting only Windows 9x - XP.

19. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Could this be of any help?

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/setting-up-dial-up-connection-in-ubuntu.html

This was one of few beefs I had with Ubuntu--no GnomePPP installed by default. To get online I used the pppconfig--pon/poff method and then installed GnomePPP via Synaptic.

I do not know why they chose to leave this out to begin with. Not everyone has access to broadband (I didn't until I had satellite internet installed back in Sept 06).

Good luck! :)

20. midway40

Also you can play around with the authentication types--CHAP, PAP, etc. I had to do this myself because I didn't know which type my ISP used (it was PAP). If I remember right I got the same connect/disconnect using CHAP.

21. FastGame

Good job midway40, thats a nice walk through :)

BTW zapjb, if you keep getting headaches the best pain reliever is PCLinuxOS ;)

Good luck and don't give up :cool:

22. midway40

YW :)

And yes, I was also a fan of PCLinuxOS--the only RPM based distro I cared about (I was into Debian). Texstar really made that distro easy by using Synaptic to install .rpm's (until I ran across PCLOS, I thought Synaptic was only for .debs, lol).

23. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

That's the kind of walkthrough I'm talking about! With pics. Printed it out. Going to try it. Thanks.

24. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Well I called my ISP. They allow Linux connections. So got that out of the way.

Still can't connect, 2-4 seconds. Then disconnect. Tried everything very frustrating.

So help still appreciated. Thanks.

25. midway40

Try reducing port speed from 115200 to 57600 (you are not going past this anyway). I once had to do this on a Mepis install for it to connect.

Also I remember I had to add an initialization string AT&F1 to a USR external modem I had.

Other than the authentication settings, I can't think of anything else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.