Ubuntu 12.04.4 hardware updates to 12.04.5 HWE problem

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by accessgranted, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. accessgranted

accessgranted Registered Member

Hi all --Couple of days ago the Ubuntu 12.04 update mechanism mentioned that new hardware support was available. The update was for Hardware Enablement stack 12.04.5 (Trusty kernel/graphics) to be pushed into Ubuntu 12.04, because in a few weeks Ubuntu 12.04 will no longer receive Precise kernel/graphics updates.

I accepted the install, but when I restarted the computer, Unity was broken, and I was left with a sluggish 2D version of Unity. I had to restore a Clonezilla image to get back up to shape.

Now, sadly, I only have two choices: either refuse HWE 12.04.5 - but then I won't any longer receive graphics and kernel updates for Ubuntu 12.04 [which would leave me open to potential security troubles at kernel level], or I can accept the hardware update but then satisfy myself with losing Unity.

Sure, I can move to Ubuntu 14.04, which I tried, but Trusty is still quite immature in my opinion - no swap or cryptswap detected at startup and a few other annoying bugs inter alia.

Anybody had the same problems when accepting hardware updates on 12.04 recently? What to do?

Cheers

2. accessgranted

Hi,

Don't wanna run this thread any longer than necessary.

Considering that [taken from wiki.ubuntu.com] "Starting Aug 8, 2014 systems running 12.04.2 HWE, 12.04.3 HWE, or 12.04.4 HWE will no longer receive software updates for the kernel and, if you're running it, the graphics stack."

and that

"From August 8, 2014 onwards 12.04.2 HWE system will only stop receiving updates for the kernel and the graphics stack. The rest of the software will continue to get updates."

and that installing 12.04.5 HWE squashes my machine (graphics mainly), I have no other choice than to refuse proposed hardware updates.

Does this mean that my Ubuntu system will be at risk, even though software updates (but not kernel nor graphics) will be available to it until 2017?

Thanks for advice.

3. tlu

tlu Guest

Have you been on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack ?

I don't know how you did the upgrade to the new HWE stack. You should execute the following:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-trusty xserver-xorg-lts-trusty libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-trusty
    For Kubuntu it's recommended to also add

libegl1-mesa-lts-trusty libgles2-mesa-lts-trusty

I should mention that I'm no longer running (K)Ubuntu. But above command worked for me in previous HWE stack upgrades (adjusted accordingly).

4. accessgranted

Thanks for your answer. I tried the procedure as you suggested. Same results: no more nvidia drivers mentioned anywhere, and when I reinstall those via Synaptic, they get installed but not used by the system. :(

5. tlu

tlu Guest

After above command and before a reboot you should execute

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg-lts-trusty
    in order to create/fix the necessary symlinks. Perhaps this helps.

It might also make sense to completely remove the nvidia driver as the first step and reinstall them after the upgrade and above steps anew.

6. tlu

tlu Guest

Have you made any progress?

BTW, this thread in the Arch Linux forum says that you can't have installed the open-source nouveau and the proprietary nvidia drivers at the same time, so you have to remove nouveau first. Might be helpful for you.

7. accessgranted

Hi tlu
    I got back to the point where I had HWE 12.04.5 installed and Nvidia completely missing. In a desperate attempt, I then tried to get Nvidia reinstalled automatically instead of manually. I added the ppa:xorg-edgers
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get instal nvidia-current
    That procedure worked just as I needed in this particular case. I have to admit that after three days of frustration, I was only a few hours away from ditching Ubuntu altogether and permanently switching to openSUSE, so this ppa came right on time.
    I'll try your manual procedure ASAP just to see if I could have done it that way.
    Thanks for your kind help :)
    I wonder if users of ATI graphic cards have so many problems with their drivers as NVidia users may have when it comes to Ubuntu!?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.