Ubuntu 10.04 won't let me control the brightness and I have random flashes on screen.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cheater87, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I have an intel chipset. Is there any way I can get this fixed?

2. phaedrus

phaedrus Registered Member

3. Eice

Eice Registered Member

What do you mean by "won't let me control the brightness"? gnome-power-preferences does not work? The brightness settings won't stick? Your keyboard brightness controls don't work?

4. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

5. cheater87

A friend of mine helped with the brightness issue with a command I had to type which is shown in the Mint forum so that is fixed. I could not control the brightness at all nothing I did through FN and F5 to F6 could work neither with the power manager. But thats all good now. Still have some flashing problem which I'm waiting for an update for.

6. Been there, done that. Try adding i915.powersave=0 as a boot option, that *should* fix the flashing.

7. cheater87

Where do I type that in again and where in it do I place it? I forget the command.

8. Edit /etc/default/grub as root and add it to the default kernel options. (Should be the line containing the word "quiet", add it inside the quotes.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.