Ubuntu 10.04 Server x64

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by hierophant, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

I need to share this with someone who cares. You do care, no? :D

Gateway DX4710
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
    5.5GB real memory
    3x 1TB WD RE3 7,200 SATA (~107 MB/sec buffered read)
    90 mm fan on front of drive cage

/dev/md0 (~160 MB/sec buffered read)
    RAID5 sda|sda1+sdb|sdb1+sdc|sdc1 (100MB each)
    -> boot (ext4)

/dev/md1 (~200 MB/sec buffered read)
    RAID5 sda|sda2+sdb|sdb2+sdc|sdc2 (~1TB each)
    -> mapper/md1_crypt
    -> lvmgrp via LVM
    root (4.7 GB ext4)
    swap (11.2 GB)
    home (1.8 TB ext4)

There's no Xwindows GUI. I'm running Webmin 1.510 -- and it's amazing! Especially cool is the "Linux Firewall" interface to iptables.

Thanks for listening ;)

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

I care, very impressive, I run Ubuntu Lucid server with GUI at my univ, for years Hardy ran flawlessly and now Lucid runs even better.

3. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

Thanks, linuxforall :) The best part was how little the hardware cost. I picked up the DX4710 a few years ago reconditioned for ca. $600. That machine has a poor reputation. However, the cause -- virtually no hard drive ventilation -- was easily remedied. And the 1TB RE3s are only ca. $160 each.

Now that I've completed the installation, I disconnected the CD ROM drive, and added another 1TB RE3, mounted (unencrypted) as /public.

I've installed OpenVPN and XeroBank credentials, and everything seems OK. I've even rediscovered Lynx ;)

Edit: What I didn't admit was how many aborted installs it took to figure that out. At one point, I was pulling the power cord every few minutes :oops:

FWIW, in case any y'all want to use such a partition setup, the key insights were: (1) keeping the boot partition unencrypted (necessary) and out of LVM (advisable, based on what I've read); (2) using separate RAID5 arrays for boot and everything else (necessitated by #1), with each comprising a set of matching partitions, one from each disk; and (3) encrypting the non-boot RAID5 array before adding it to the volume group (within which logical volumes /, share and home are created).

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  4. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Ubuntu server is making huge inroads into the enterprise class as well due to its simple deployment, it uses newer package than the venerable RH and has proven itself quite stable and its also well supported. Canonical now plans to launch full fledged server project aimed at the enterprise sector.

5. smoss20

smoss20 Registered Member

I started the endeavor, It's daunting b/c the lack of documentation. Theres plenty on how to set up, but I haven't seen much on "post install" I set up a Maverick server & added the GUI, but I'm really at loss when it comes to what's next.
    e.g. How to set up connections for the various services I've installed?

I have a couple Linux & Windows machines set up, but I want to use the server, as a central back up, remote access, and a media server.

Any good links on what to do AFTER I install all this, would be a big help.

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.