Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx - Job very well done

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi all,

Sound the trumpets! Dedoimedo has just reviewed Lucid Lynx!

Here you go, an extremely long, thorough and enthusiastic review of Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx, a perfect desktop distribution with three-year Long Term Support, covering 32-bit and 64-bit installations on internal and external USB disks, usage on three laptops, ATI, Intel and Nvidia cards, Wireless, Bluetooth, Web camera, Samba sharing, visual style, theme and branding, Ubuntu Software Center, multimedia codecs (Flash, MP3, Windows video), performance, stability, laptop modes (suspend & hibernate), boot times, games, applications, and more. Oh, there ain't no review as thorough as mine! You will like this, I promise you.

Three laptops, three graphic cards, 55 screenshots.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-lucid.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

3. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

Dear Mrk,

Lucid Lynx is great!

Could I say I don't have the impression I am running a Linux OS (comment from a former full time Windows user)?

4. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

That might get you ostracized some places :)
    Just say I use Linux and I am happy with it!
    But from a ease of use standpoint, yes you could.

5. cet

cet Registered Member

I read your review.Thanks for taking time to write that review.
    I love Ubuntu 10.04 so much that on my new hard disk the only operating system is Ubuntu.Only one month ago I was a dedicated user of Windows,but now I feel like finding heaven.Thats all I can say for Ubuntu.

6. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Well....I guess I didn't need to be tranquilized after all. :). To say I'm surprised would be an understatement. Are you sure you're feeling alright, Mrk? Been hit on the head lately? ;). But seriously, a very nice and thorough analysis...as usual.

Thanks, Mrk.

7. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Hallelujah and AMEN!

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I don't follow the hit on the head ... It is as it is. Plain and simple. When it works, it works, when it does not, it does not ...

Mrk

9. linuxforall

What works for one doesn't necessarily works for other, such is the nature of human creation, Windows don't work for me, that don't mean I will condemn it and tell others it sucks cause its legitimately a good offering just as Ubuntu is for some. Same logic goes for browsers and other programs.

10. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

It means addled....not behaving as one would expect. Anyway, it was all in jest....just to be clear. Once again, a nice review. :).

Later...

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Nice thorough review Mrk, works for me too. Lucid is great....

12. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Very good review! I've been using Linux Mint for so long I can't be without it but I do miss that Ubuntu Software Center. The Mint Installer is just as nice but a bit less polish. Linux has come a long ways from the old days when installing and kernel compiling was an extended torture.

Slackware '97/'99 FTW!!

13. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

very nice review indeed Mrkvonic :thumb:

i wait for your review on old hardware specially with Intel drivers

as far i got for ubuntu manual that minimum requirement for ubuntu is

700 MHz x86 processor
    256 MB RAM
    3 GB disk space
    Graphics card capable of 1024 x 768 resolution
    Sound card
    Network or Internet connection

i going to try it on 40 gb hardisk 2.8 ghz P4 512 ram no graphic card asus mother board with inbuilt graphics

i guss it gonna work on it :)

14. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

nice review man , i already installed it on my VM ti try it out , buy IMO there is no point move completely to linux coz a lots of reasons (yes o know linux is free)

15. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Thanks for the review, I'll read it ASAP.

16. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

new mint 9 has same Ubuntu Software Center type with one more advantage for new users that they give star rating to software's hope it got best reviews as well so far with mint very smooth experience went

not even a single trouble or tweak i need to do in mint

just they need install vlc and opera chrome and skype by default then there is nothing left to done
    for many lazy users like me in mint ........lol i know asking for too much proprietary things by default :D

please check

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=271856

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  17. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Nice review.

Lucid runs very well on my T61 (intel GFX, 4GB ram), no livecd issues with 32bit or 64bit ISOs.

I found F-Spots image editting to not be not as usuable as Gimps - maybe because I am too used to the Gimp now.

Evolution finally works with my 4gb gmail account in IMAP.

Thunderbird 3 works very well, apart from not integrating with the new message indicator applet.

Laptop hdd spindown now behaves correctly (they broke something in Karmic that would cause settings to get broken after a hibernate).

Me menu is a nice idea, but if you set status to offline, you cannot go back online again through the Me menu, you have to go into Empathy.

Flash 32bit (in 64bit OS) renders OK but I cannot click anything. 64bit player works fine and far faster.

Cannot turn bluetooth off by default.

Probably got more minor glitches than Karmic, but not one single major glitch.

New theme is refreshing.

Definatley good progress since Karmic, best Ubuntu ever, closer.

18. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Nice review as usual, Mrk. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually liking Lucid better than even the latest Mint release :)

19. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Thanks for the review Mrk. Lucid is running great on my system. My earlier wireless problem was fixed by my flipping the tiny switch on the front of my laptop (in my defense, that button never did anything before). At the moment, I plan on keeping Lucid for the duration, but 10.10 will probably be installed a day after it is released.

20. linuxforall

When Lucid LTS came out, I promised myself that I would wait for the next LTS before upgrade but its impossible, Canonical tempts us every six months with new shiny Ubuntu, currently Meerkat is looking too good to resist so I will be following you and upgrade the moment its out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.