Ublock Microsoft Edge

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TS4H, Jul 20, 2016.

1. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Very interesting, though I've mostly lost interest right after due to Adguard and the pointlessness of Edge in general.

3. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

This would be exciting news for me, if I actually enjoyed using the browser.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I prefer to wait, as the article reports the application is still in a pre-release stage. I find MS Edge interesting and it is actually faster than Chrome on my machine (even though Chrome has only 2 extensions).
    "Insider Preview Fast Ring only for now until it's finished." Nick Rolls

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  5. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

There is less than two weeks before the Anniversary Update for Windows 10 is released and Edge is supposed to allow extensions with it, but I doubt it will make me use Edge any more than I do now. As a browser Edge makes an OK PDF reader.

6. guest

guest Guest

The main point of Edge is Appcontainer integrity level (only tweaked Chrome-based browser have it); of course if you prefer aesthetic over security, you have plenty of other options...

7. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

What do you mean by "aesthetic over security"?

8. guest

guest Guest

Some people will choose the fancy, shiny, heavily customizable browser over a simpler but more secured one.

9. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

OK, I understand, quick question: Do you really use all that that for security and protection what I see in your signature?
    Or not?
    I mean for my needs I don't really need anything, OK, I will use VoodooShield and ReHips eventually and that's about it.
    I mean you said it yourself, Edge with AppContainer and Chrome with AppContainer are truly secure-do you perhaps have the link how to tewak Chrome with AppContainer-I mean the whole process, since I do not know how and where to start to tweak in the first place.

I also use Firefox, but so far I didn't need anything to protect it against malwares and exploits (I'm talking about Windows 10 Pro 64-bit that I use).

10. guest

guest Guest

yes i do, mostly for the fun, i could ditch all of them since i secured my Win10 with several tweaks. If i have to chose 2-3 apps, i would use ReHIPS first, with VS and HMPA only.

for Chrome; just type this in the address bar

Code:
    chrome://flags/#enable-appcontainer
    and enable it.

i really dislike FF, i ditched it years ago for "lack" of security features (Sandboxie is a must have to any FF users) ; now it will become a simulacre of Chrome (multi-processes, etc...); but to answer your question, you have the NoScript extension, a bit complicated at beginning but once set, it block lot of things.

11. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

+ 1. I use the same. But with W10 64 bit.

I would like to know any real world documented cases (say past 3 years) where a user would have infected if browsed with Naked Firefox, instead of Naked Chrome. Not that i am against to Chrome/Edge. Just curious to know!!
    I would like to understand, if there are any cases, and if so, and identify possible mitigations..

B/w I use Firefox (for now), which is guarded with HMPA + uBO (med mode) + FF Tweaks

Tweaks to Win10 ? If so, could you please list them..

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  12. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Such a simple tweak! Why isn't this enabled by default?

13. guest

guest Guest

i would like to know too :D

when i used FF before:

- Noscript Extension
    - Sandboxie
    - HMPA or EMET or MBAE

I favor Chrome because many internal tweaks are security based, it has by default a sandbox which can be upgraded by enabling Appcontainer , you have some plugins lockdown and Addon verification enforcements,

14. guest

guest Guest

It work only on Win10 , so maybe they want avoid potential issues on other OSes.

15. harsha_mic

Guess, it isn't ready for prim-time

16. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Ah! I see. ;)

17. harsha_mic

Thanks. As I said in my previous post, I too added some guards to fortify it :)

Thanks. I will keep an eye. Perhaps i might tend more towards Edge, if FF becomes unsafe to use ;)

18. guest

guest Guest

it is not especially unsafe if you have proper habits; it has less protection , which is different ;)

19. harsha_mic

Yes. You are right. Thank You.

20. anon

anon Registered Member

uBlock Origin for Microsoft Edge
    https://www.ghacks.net/2016/12/11/ublock-origin-for-microsoft-edge/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/app/9nblggh444l4

21. With all the security improvements planned for Edge, I have switched to Edge as main browser for bookmarked sites. Using uBlock0 with disconnectt malware filter and adguard privacy filter works best for me. Will still be using Chromium nosync incognito mode plus disable-reading-from-canvas with AdblockPlus with just one rule (blocking third party scripts, objects and subdocuments = scripts, plugins and iframes for HTTP websites only).

22. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Any reason to use ABP with that one rule rather than just having that rule in your uBO?

23. I used uB0 in advanced mode (with third-party blocking) for free format surfing and in simple mode on bookmarked websites. Because uBo does not has visual feedback in the ICON when ADVANCED MODE is ON, I did not notice my stupid mistake.

I did an online exam when I had uB0 blocking third-party without knowing I had it on. At the final screen the process "hung", so I disabled uB0 and refreshed. The exam had three passes, I had used one, so in stead passing an A I passed with a B.

To prevent this sort of user mistakes I now use 2 browsers with two different ICONS helping me to remind which "mode" I am in: simple mode (EDGE+uB0) or ADVANCED mode (Chromium + ABP).

When uB0 had green or blue icon when in SIMPLE mode and current red icon when in ADVANCED mode, I will happily change ABP for uB0

24. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Similar annoyances have happened to me on occasion, most recently today when I paid the auto registration online, I filled out the fields for policy and registration numbers, insurance and agent names, then I go to view form and everything I filled out was gone :( ...all because I had a key cookie blocked using uMatrix, and of course because I had forgotten to update the matrix before filling the form. At least it won't happen next year on the same site because now the rules are updated for it :)

25. As said it was sheer user stupidity on my side, some visual feedback in the icon when Advanced mode is on would be nice though, but it is not a big issue to me anymore with two browsers and two different icons.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.