uBlock and Adguard

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Infected, Mar 18, 2015.

1. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

2. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

There is no straw man going on here...

You need Ad Muncher if you want to block all kinds of things that uBlock can not block.

like slideshow interstitials.

Only Ad Muncher can modify the script to remove it.

http://www.upi.com/News_Photos/Features/Notable-Deaths-of-2015/8859/
    http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/11/bragging_rights_see_where_mich.html
    http://chicago.cbslocal.com/photo-galleries/2012/12/03/2012-celebrity-deaths/
    http://www.fandango.com/movie-photos/spotlight-on-katherine-heigl-1043

just a few examples.

view these slideshows with and without Ad Muncher and tell me how uBlock removes the entire ad slide from the slideshow.

I could literally take all day long and cite similar examples of things that I remove by surgically modifying scripts.

Yes HTTPS is not currently supported, hence my suggestion that Ad Muncher + uBlock for HTTPS or similar add-on is currently the best choice.

Ad Muncher is so fast and optimized that there is no downside.

3. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

Yes I am aware of all of those.

But at its core it's just blocking or allowing 3rd party content. ;p

It doesn't modify the content it does allow.

4. harsha_mic

Ok. Thanks.

I agree it is fast, as it works natively i suppose.
    Though uBlock unlike other adblockers is designed to work efficiently and is fast (as today we see JS engines became quite fast), though might not be comparable to native code. I hope that time will close this gap.

[off topic] Becuase of uBlock i had shifted back to Firefox from Chrome. No more short UI hangs during page loads. And browser feels snappy during longer sessions of usage or even days, of course some credit must be given to any improvements mozilla might have made with each iteration ;)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  5. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Sorry I dont see any ad in these pages (in slideshows too). Could you post a example of what I should see?

http://i.imgur.com/JSat8LT.jpg

6. Nightwalker

What should I see here?

another.jpg

7. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

Do you know what an interstitial is?

the ad is removed by uBlock but not the extra slide in the slideshow.

so it will show up usually as an extra slide that you must click to get past.

Click through each slideshow and you will reach the interstitial slide...

Ad Muncher removes these.

I just confirmed they are still there using the latest version of uBlock.

there can even be more than one in some slideshows.

the mlive.com one I linked to has 4.

8. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

My current connection doesn't allow to check the other sites but I managed to remove those adslides in mlive completely with uBlock.

9. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

Hide it with CSS?

Most can't be dealt with in that fashion.

What connection are you on that doesn't let you view the other sites?

10. phalanaxus

Let's just say I "might be" on work and not able to change the DNS, hypothetically:)

11. Nightwalker

You are right, using the default settings in mlive.com I can see that extra slides. But it is very simple to block using the element blocker of Ublock.

It automatically creates the following filter: ###main > .carousel_wrapper > .wrapper > .jcarousel-wrapper > .slideshow-AdOverlay

So it removes all the extra slides and dont break anything.

Anyway it is possible to block using the "inline scripts" option, but it will unfortunately break some pages.

12. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

The vast majority are not a simple overlay but an actual extra slide. CSS won't remove it in those cases.

I modify the script to actually bypass that section of the code so it's even faster than blocking it with CSS.

This is done across 1000's of sites for 100's of various types of negative behaviors that when blocked improve the end user's experience.

This is in additional to the standard blockage of frames and images and ad scripts. ;p

13. phalanaxus

This is what I did too, same rule.

A question Jeff, if I inject an ad the same way I put a picture in the slide can admuncher remove it ?

14. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

Ad Muncher can block or modify almost anything.

but without seeing a site in action I can't be more specific...

This is what I do all day long, figure out ways to remove crap like that without causing any page damage.

Every time a user reports a new slideshow interstitial I am almost invariably successfully in removing it.

15. Nightwalker

I know, I remember how powerful Ad Muncher was, it could completely bypass adfly and similars.

I continue to say that Ublock is more than enough alone and it is aproach is more efficient than Ad Muncher (lacking HTTPS filtering is a sin nowdays)

Ublock Dynamic Filtering is a blessing, third-party deny mode is a security conscious user dream. (combined with statics filters)

16. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

My point exactly.. Note, for me Mlive slideshow was BROKEN by uBlock running alone. But when I added Admuncher to uBlock, it suddenly worked. I've tested hundreds, possibly thousands of sites with this combination, and found most work better, and had less page load fails when they were combined, rather than either alone.

Actually, the second link wouldn't go from 1-2 slides with either Adguard OR uBlock installed if Admuncher was disabled. The moment I re-enabled Admuncher, it worked perfectly. I've found this activity on tons of sites to the point I won't run ANY browser based adblocker without Admuncher also on the machine. Admuncher also sometimes 'fixes' what other adblockers break! Anyone else confirm this slideshow doesn't even work with uBlock turned on? But suddenly works perfectly with Admuncher turned on.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/11/bragging_rights_see_where_mich.html

17. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

With my DNS-based adblocking setup, I am not seeing any advertisements on that site or within the slideshow and the slideshow works fantastically without issue. However, I am seeing those blank interstitial slides. I am considering adding Ad Muncher into the mix to see if that will be a nice compliment to my DNS-based adblocking.

18. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Only running UBlock, slideshow works perfectly for me.

19. harsha_mic

It works for me well, though those blank slides comes up in between. (not a big problem for me) (only 4 domains connected out of 14)
    Due to my config (Default Deny, block Inline Scripting), i had to noop inline scripting for slide show to work.

And creating cosmetic filter, removed those blank slides too ;)

However for upi, i had to have admuncher to make the slideshow to work...

20. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I still find everything works better with Admuncher running. No way to deny that really.

21. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

I'll have to agree here. I really liked AdGuard, but find it to be slow, laggy, and the browsing experience just isn't as good. I love uBlock and will probably always use it if it stays as good as it currently is. I also use AdMuncher and have noticed on some sites it blocks a few things that uBlock doesn't, and it also speeds up browsing experience.

I would donate do AdMuncher, but only use the product because it is free. The cost of AdGuard has turned me away permanently. I had a beta license but they pulled it.

22. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Admuncher is experiencing a bit of a resurgence. I won't donate because I already purchased 3-4 lifetime memberships - that was my donation. But Jeff is working hard - over 500 signature updates since it went free, and he is supposedly doing some pretty extensive reworking of the database. Which seems to show.

uBlock+Admuncher - like peanutbutter and jelly?

v6 of Adguard has to be amazing, otherwise I will consider it a write off.

23. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

So Adguard is on the heavier side? For users who have experience with both Adguard and Ad Muncher, would you say that Ad Muncher is lighter and more efficient? I am hoping to try Adguard soon, but Ad Muncher is working so well for me that I keep pushing off the other. And free is hard to beat.

24. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Adguard for me breaks stuff, has bugs.. (notification window bug, sometimes not loading driver bug, etc)

It's a product I can't use right now, but purchased it in the hopes v6 fixes the issues. (but v6 is almost a year delayed)

25. avatar

Why? Any beta tester can renew his license, just PM me or other admin on our forum.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.