µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Does anyone know a way for the pop-up menu to show on mouse hover instead of having to click?

2. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Dashboard, Settings --> Disable tooltips. Uncheck it.
    Surely the GUI though does not popup if you hover the mouse over uBO icon.

3. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

That was what I was looking for, the uBO icon menu to pop-up on mouse hovering.
    I had noticed there was no such option on the Dashboard but thought that could be a workaround.

4. Jarmo P

Something like that would be against designing a safe GUI. At first when I replied I did not even understood your question. Now I wonder why anyone would ask such a question?

5. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Because I'd like to have an option for it.
    Does anyone know if this was requested/discussed before?

6. yeL

yeL Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2016
  7. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

8. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Indeed; all three will be most pleased!

9. Minimalist

Hehehe. Good one :thumb:

10. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

11. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

uBlock Origin in Firefox 49.01, still a bit new and have a few questions:

Is there a more attention-getting way to get you to update your lists?
    How often should you purge the caches?
    What does the tiny "http" box next to a list mean?

I scanned the last several pages of this thread so I apologize if any answer was missed.:)

Edit to add: I was going thru the various installed apps in Start and there was this Microsoft game app via Store with this large, obnoxious ad that you almost couldn't avoid. I clicked it and uBlock Origin gave a screen that said something like "blocked malvertisement." That amazes me, this was off a Microsoft app, not in a browser. Is this something you can expect from uBlock Origin?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2016
  12. Minimalist

You can use Auto-update to update lists. I usually update it manually once a week when I run browser un-sandboxed. I don't know of any reminders that would get your attention when lists are out of date.
    I usually purge cache and download updates once a week.
    http means that source is not using https while update is performed. More here:https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Dashboard:-3rd-party-filters
    I can't help you with Windows 10 apps as I don't use them - it would be strange if uBlock would block content outside of browser :confused:

EDIT: maybe app is trying to show you an add using default browser and that's when uBlock blocks that add?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  13. guest

guest Guest

These lists are automatically updated each 4-5 days.
    To have fresh updated filter lists you have to purge the cache, so you can click the "Update now"-button.
    But normally you don't have to do it.
    Only if you see some not blocked ads, and only fresh filter lists can fix it (maybe).

14. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Hi, Minimalist and mood, thank you for the important information.

Regarding the Microsoft ad in app, if I get sufficiently motivated, I'll install that Classic Games one again and see if it recurs, it was pretty astonishing. Maybe someone has experience with that scenario. I don't use MS apps either, I just like the slideshow thing on the live tiles in the Start menu. :cautious: :isay:

15. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Auto-update setting is enabled by default, you shouldn't have to worry about having to update your lists -- except for maybe the rare case where you experience a filter issue for which a fix has been published in one of the filter lists. The tiny "http" label means that the filter list is hosted on a server which does not support (https) encrypted connection.

16. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

bump
    is an option an option @gorhill ?

17. gorhill

gorhill Guest

I believe too many options to address all sort of individual preferences pollute the UI. At most this could be a `about:config` sort of option, but then the next obstacle in my mind is that I would have to add code for such feature, and adding more code means more code paths, increased complexity, more maintenance/testing work, etc. and also that wouldn't work for all browsers. So I prefer to decline such feature.

18. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Thanks for the answer.

19. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

I think you're right about that. Imagine what payload would have dumped into the browser. Good, you saved me from downloading that app again.

20. Minimalist

Yes, malvertising is becoming real problem. Using adblocker just for security sake is almost mandatory. If you also care for privacy then adblocker is a must.

21. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

How do I block this annoying video that starts playing everytime the page loads? I tried element picker, but after reloading the page, the sound still plays even though the video is hidden :eek:
    screenshot.4.png

22. Logethica

Logethica Registered Member

Hey Overkill :)
    I just went to that link and I don't see a Video at all..
    This may be because I have 3rd party Scripts & Frames Blocked Globally.
    I checked my uBlock dash and it was only allowing pcworld.com & www-pcworld .com ,everything else was red.
    If you prefer not to block all 3rd party frames & scripts by default,then you could install the "Disable HTML5 autoplay" extension.This will prevent any HTML5 based vids from auto-playing (including youtube).:)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  23. Jarmo P

Use uBlock Origin with medium filtering. No video starts running. The script from brightcove.net is running that video.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  24. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Block players.brightcove.net for that site.

25. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

HELP!! LOL... I hit something wrong somewhere and one of my favorite web pages has nothing
    showing...if I hit the big Ou button and turn off all is well except for all the garbage
    how do i start fresh on that particular page? thank you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.