µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

@Overkill,

This page in the uBlock wiki provides an excellent explanation on what you're looking for.

2. stackz

stackz Registered Member

On the off chance that anyone wants to block the auto starting of HTML5 videos on -www.pcworld.com, just add to your filters:
    Code:
    www.pcworld.com##script:contains(('#extra-nav').show)

3. XIII

XIII Registered Member

I read somewhere that the maintainer of the uBlock repo is going to port his iOS Purify ad blocker to Safari.

What would be the advantage compared to the current uBlock Safari extension?

4. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

What lists are you all using? here's mine currently

Attached Files:

5. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

Here is mine, although im not sure how effective Dan Pollocks or Peter Lowes ad server list are. I rarely see an effect.

regards.

Attached Files:

6. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

7. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

I have Peter Lowe’s list in my hosts file already is why I don't use it in ubo.

8. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

9. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

I am facing some problems with Chrome Version 46.0.2490.71 (64-bit) for Linux.
    Basically Chrome hangs on "waiting for uBlock Origin extension" forever. When I disable uBlock, then it hangs on UMatrix.
    Not sure if it's related to this latest chrome release or to the extension(s) but before updating Chrome it never happened.

10. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

@gorhill I have also had issues lately on my W10 64. Chrome version 46.0.2490.80 m (64-bit) and ublock 1.3.2. today when I noticed no filters were applied on a particular site i went to the ublock interface and the followed showed up. Capture.PNG

Not sure why this occurred. I restarted chrome, same thing. Disabled/re enabled extension, restarted chrome, same thing. Reverted back version 1.3.1 and everything was okay. All other extensions functioned as normal. Chrome functioned as normal and a PC restart did not help either.
    regards.

11. malexous

malexous Registered Member

Linux. Chromium 46.0.2490.80. uBlock Origin 1.3.2.

Even in a new profile (default Chromium/uBlock Origin settings) uBlock Origin appears not to work at https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/apps?hl=en
    The logger (yes, refreshed the page after opening the logger) does not even show anything for that link.

Attached Files:

12. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Yes, this is a known issue : https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues/864
    Can be fixed by installing the latest dev version (1.3.3b2 currently : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/#beta-channel )

13. gorhill

gorhill Guest

I've seen uBO turning into a weird state sometimes after an update. Do you have error messages in uBO's dev console?

Unrelated to this issue: the issue affected Firefox only, and it was not an issue affecting any release version, just a not-yet-released version.

14. gorhill

gorhill Guest

15. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

I uninstalled the extension and reverted back to 1.3.1. so I did not view the dev tools. However windows was updating with the latest two released KB's while the chrome browser was open, maybe it had something to do with it. Cant provide you with any more info. The extension 1.3.1 has today auto updated to 1.3.2 and its running perfectly.
    Thanks anyway for you prompt reply, I should have been more patient.

16. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

gorhill i just updated to the newest firefox beta and it says it disabled ublock and i see no way of re-enabling it or bypassing that. any thoughts? i only have the option to uninstall ublock now. if i try to reinstall it firefox says it blocked the install. and i am clicking allow.

edit: for now i found this:

Override add-on signing (advanced users): You can override this setting by changing the xpinstall.signatures.required preference to false in the Firefox Configuration Editor (about:config page). Support is not available for any changes made with the Configuration Editor so please do this at your own risk.

it says its due to it not being signed by firefox.

17. JohnMult

JohnMult Registered Member

My question is this one:
    If I put in My Rules this one * review * block should this block all 1st party and 3rd party top domains .review?

18. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Not sure if this will help you in your case,I experienced a similar occurance and discovered the culprit was 1 of 2 things.
    1.The native fonts was causing this or.:
    2.It was a theme.
    Sorry if this does not help you in your particular case but thought i would mention it and hopefully it will point you in the right direction.

19. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

Thank you very much. I appreciate your thought;

To be honest I have no idea what it could of been. Apart from having windows update run at the time i noticed ublock's crash, it was business as usual. Two other things i would like to add.

Windows update seems to have updated Flash in the KB which may have effected Chrome in some way, the other;

That Chrome still seems buggy with Windows 10. I am getting crashes since the W10 upgrade on 64 bit, although disabling flash in Chrome seemed to help.

Reinstalling the extension fixed the GUI issue, but the W10 chrome crashes remain unchanged.

If your still experiencing problems, try disabling flash.

Regards.

20. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

See https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/ublock-a-lean-and-fast-blocker.365273/page-55#post-2505703 where the issue of ublock origin being seen as unsigned was mentioned. gorhill (a couple of posts later) mentioned that it was signed. Now, I'm confused.

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

@zfactor, I'm wondering if some reason other than ublock origin being unsigned was responsible for the disabling you reported. If I read the wiki (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Addons/Extension_Signing) correctly, ublock origin is already signed:

22. @gorhill

HTTP switchboard and its offspring uMatrix and uBlock all benefit from the innovation you invented to define rules in a two dimensional matrix. The brilliance (IMO) lies in the fact that two dimensional user interface may look more complex at first sight, but due to higher granularity and straight forward insight actually requires less (user/exception) rules than one dimensional filtering mechanisms like adblock or noscript.

Privacy Badger is based on the (one dimensional) adblockplus engine, but it claims to have established behavioral rules to protect against tracking scripts, images and even fingerprinting practices. So I wondered whether any of these behavioral rules (especially the ones determing pixel-tags and fingerprinting tracking) could be implemented in uBlock or uMatrix?

Regards Kees

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2015
  23. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I've installed uBlock on Vivaldi and Firefox and it actually doesn't seem to break any pages, pretty cool. But I'm confused, does it only block third party scripts? And why does the interface doesn't show the blocked trackers/scripts, like Ghostery?

24. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

Because you haven't enable the "I am an advanced user" in the settings, when you do that open the pop-up menu and click on the "requests blocked"

voila!

25. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

Or to get more comprehensive info about what is allowed or blocked open the logger.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.