µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. robboman

robboman Registered Member

Went from the adquard FF extension to ublock origin. Did some testing with the same filters and sites load anywhere from 5 to 30% faster

Great extension!

2. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

3. ance

ance formerly: fmon

@gorhill

Could you please implement "Disable WebRTC" as an option? That would be great. :thumb:

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

5. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

There is an option for it already. See the screenshot in post #1454 of @Minimalist post - "Prevent WebRTC from leaking local IP addresses"

6. marko7

marko7 Registered Member

Quick question: is there any advantage of running other extensions, like Disconnect, together with uBlock Origin?

7. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

8. harsha_mic

Not really sure if adds any benefit. And i dislike having multiple add-ons for achieving the same purpose..

Here is quick test from Raymond a while ago..You can configure uBlock at various levels, to block the unwanted resources as needed.

FYI, I replaced ABP+NoScript with uBlock Origin (configured in Medium Blocking mode).

I did an quick run over PB for 5 days on top of my uBlockO and it covered all. Here is the post about it..

9. ance

ance formerly: fmon

I see, I have to install uBlock Origin ... o_O

10. robboman

I have a questions does enabling currently I only got the following 2 filters enabled:

- easylist
    - easylist Dutch (where I'm from)

will enabling more filters like the privacy ones and disconnect list make pages on average load faster or slower?
    Maybe faster because it blocks more stuff from loading, or slower because it's taking up time blocking ****?

11. Minimalist

Good question. Enabling too much filters will probably slow down overall speed as extension will have to process large list.
    When I was playing with extension settings I got best page load times with blocked 3rd party scripts and frames.

12. robboman

I tried 3rd party scripts/frames and while very effective it's to much of a hassle for me, get annoyed having to allow stuff frequently.

I've checked some network request times and pages did load significantly quicker with 5 of the major filters compared to 2.

13. accessgranted

accessgranted Registered Member

uBlockOrigin seems to compare activated lists and only take into account elements of those lists only once. For instance, lets say list A blocks abcdefgh. And let's say list B blocks ghijkl. The B list will only be taken into account for items ijkl, because gh are already being taken care of through implementation of list A.

For instance, I use, among other lists, Fanboy+Easylist-Merged Ultilmate List, and also EasyList. Only 50 filters out of 57108 filters are used in EasyList, because 88895 filters out of 88946 are already being taken care of through Fanboy+EasyList-Merged Ultimate list. If I deactivate the latter and apply changes, then suddenly 56965 out of 57108 are now used from the EasyList.

14. Minimalist

Yes, it removes duplicates and some lists are more or less duplicates of another. Adding different lists will still add overall number of records that has to be checked when loading web pages. Selecting all lists would probably slow down browsing, but I never tried it to see how it would affect speed.

15. harsha_mic

uBlock's Advantages are
    - It removes duplicate filters (even functionally equal, as uBlock Engine decomposes the raw filter lists to Atomic Filter lists)
    - It processes the filters more efficiently, and has more higher resistance towards registering more number of filter lists. I remember one user tested it with > 990K filters.
    So, it is uncommon you see slow down when registering to little more number of filter lists..
    (And personally i have registered to quite a few of them - here is my count - 117,006 network filters + 51,243 cosmetic filters, on top of Medium blocking mode)

in uBlock, there are 3 sets of filter types -
    - Dynamic URL Filters (highly efficient)
    - Dynamic Filters (highly efficient)
    - Static Filters (aka ABP compatible filters) (not so efficient, when compared to above two types.)

When creating an custom blocking filter, it is advised to create a rule using either Dynamic URL Filtering or Dynamic Filters. As both are much more efficient than static filters.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  16. gorhill

gorhill Guest

The more stuff is blocked, the faster a page will load.

Do not shy away from selecting whatever static filter lists you need, I haven't ever run into performance issues because of "too many filter lists selected". The relation between number of static filters and time it takes to "scan" a URL for a match is not 1:1, i.e. doubling the number of filters will not double the time it takes to scan a URL. The way uBlock's static filtering engine is designed makes it quite less sensitive to performance hit as filter count increases. I once loaded the 800,000+ hostnames from hpHosts and uBlock was able to handle this just fine.

I may run some benchmarks with silly amount of filters at one point to be sure no myth (aka baseless assertions) see the day of light regarding how many filters are too many performance-wise in uBlock. At this point, the worry should not be performance, but more how much more likely web page breakage will occur with more filters.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2015
  17. gorhill

gorhill Guest

One way to help page load a lot and reduce privacy exposure without the hassles of blocking 3rd-scripts/frames is to use dynamic blocking in allow-all/block-exceptionally mode -- i.e. blocking your way up proper page rendering instead of unblocking your way down proper page rendering.

Start by globally blocking ubiquitous domains that are useless to you first, as they show up in the dynamic filtering pane.

For example, blocking facebook.com, facebook.net, twitter.com, twimg.com, outbrain.com, and such others as they appear in the lists of connected domains will already impact page load speed. If ever you visit Facebook, Twitter, etc., you can then disable locally the blocking of their respective domains. Not only page load speed will improve, but also your privacy exposure will be reduced a good chunk, as Facebook or Twitter won't be able anymore to build a history of your browsing activity.

18. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Absolutely.

19. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Is there a version for 'PaleMoon' Atom/WinXP? thank you

20. Mirjalovic

Mirjalovic Registered Member

how to whitelist 3rd party scripts/frames in certain websites ?

21. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

22. harsha_mic

uBlockO works in Palemoon, not sure about what is Atom/WinXP

23. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

You have a download link?
    add-ons at firefox to load button is 'greyed' out

24. harsha_mic

25. robboman

Thanks for your response, awesome! And thanks for the tip with dynamic blocking too, will def look into it :) extension is gold

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.