µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. gorhill

gorhill Guest

2. kronckew

kronckew Registered Member

thanks, finally tracked it down to a stylish style 'link color change for all websites' which not only had a 'visited' section but an about:blank one that must have overrode the user content elsewhere. added the last change from the link above & picker's working transparently. :)

3. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

In the meantime, Chris Aljoudi is working hard to bring a uBlock derivate to Iphones/Ipads when iOS9 will be released. Don't know if it will be free (remember, this is Apple, so the chances are few), probably will not be as configurable but it's a nice step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzJfyB6LrJs

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Maybe this will sort it out ?

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/tag/0.9.9.3-dev.0

5. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

6. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

New pop-up.
    Line 851 of the source page (hxxp://film-stream.org/):

Immagine.JPG

7. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

I'm not seeing this. The pop-up says that that filter was found in "My filters", so you added it yourself. What are you trying to tell us?

8. Sampei Nihira

Go to the link below:

http://film-stream.org/

click with the mouse in the parts in blue
    .;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2015
  9. summerheat

Yes, I saw that before (once I allowed javascript for that site). But I did NOT see that warning - simply because it was triggered for you by a filter YOU added to "My filters". So I still don't know what you're trying to tell us ... sorry :confused:

10. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

As Sampei seems to be pointing out, this is still a problem with sites like this, in that it means one has to stumble upon them first which of course means it's too late, then only a customized filter will work.

11. Sampei Nihira

New pop-up.
    Line 851 of the source page (hxxp://film-stream.org/).

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I've just started using ublock origin 0.9.9.3 on Firefox. In https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Does-uBlock-block-ads-or-just-hide-them?#cosmetic-filters, there is this:
    My question is this: if I'm writing my own cosmetic filter, how do I ensure it is specific and not generic? I see that after a generic cosmetic filter is cached, it will behave like a specific one, but why not make a specific one in the first place thereby reducing the dependency on a cache?

13. summerheat

As I understand it, cosmetic filters like
    Code:
    ###AdvHead
    ###AdvHeader
    ###HeaderAdSidebar
    ###HeaderAdsBlock
    which you'll find in various filterlists are generic as they are applied on any website where they appear. On the other hand, filters like
    Code:
    startpage.com###results.show_side_bar > ol > .box-red
    www.cboe.com###form > .header
    are specific as they are only applied on the respective domain/website.

Again, that's how I understand it.

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Staying with the topic of cosmetic filters, I came across the part I've bolded:

from https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/w...ently)-do#abp-has-all-the-features-ublock-has

So cosmetic filters maybe something to use judiciously.

16. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I've been using uBlock Origin for about a month now. My hat is off to gorhill.

17. summerheat

I think that simply refers to "Parse and enforce cosmetic filters." in the 3rd-party filters tab.
    While the last sentence is probably self-evident, it should be noted that uBlock0's memory footprint is much smaller than ABP's.

18. summerheat

Noteworthy: In uBlock0 0.9.9.4-dev7 gorhill removed the Disconnect malware filter list as it is overzealous.

19. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

The gap may narrow with Firefox 41: https://blog.mozilla.org/nnethercot...ll-use-less-memory-when-running-adblock-plus/

In my case, I'm not using any 3rd party filter other than one I'm slowly adding to. I don't have any of the filters supplied by default ticked in the 3rd-party filters tab. Now that it's evident that cosmetic filters can be a bit of an issue, I'll think twice before adding one; before this, I had the impression I was making things "lighter" by using them :)

20. summerheat

Yes, also discussed here. We'll see how much difference this will make.

Now you've made me curious: What's the benefit of a blocker without all those comprehensive filterlists? Creating all necessary filters yourself is a bit tedious, isn't it? Or do you rely on uBlock0's Default deny approach in Dynamic Filtering?
    Well, they are making websites "lighter" for your eyes :D
    Seriously, the question is how big of an issue. As mentioned by gorhill in the link above uBlock does not use global stylesheet to enforce cosmetic filtering. So I don't think that going without cosmetic filtering makes a noticeable difference in performance. And regarding memory usage: I don't know how much RAM you have - but according to this benchmark uBlock adds just a bit over 10 MB (with default filterlists). This number is certainly too small for me to justify disabling those lists.

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I was using ABP previously with the same approach. So I imported my patterns.ini (from ABP) to get a running start. I know it's a bit laborious but I always view "new" sites first in private browsing and block whatever I don't like. I also feel I'll understand more by using any adblocker this way rather than relying on pre-made lists. And I've gone through a couple of them. Most of the items in them aren't relevant to my browsing.

I keep a separate profile for serious work (only for emails and netbanking).
    I have 4GB RAM and rarely go above 600MB. So without any doubt I have RAM to spare. Still, I figure I'll learn more by "doing my own stuff" and asking for help or clarifications along the way. BTW, I also use the Stylish extension to rid me of eyesores. Maybe I'll spread the load between Stylish and uBlock0.

As for "Or do you rely on uBlock0's Default deny approach in Dynamic Filtering?", I'm still getting to grips with the terminology but I guess you're referring to uBlock0's popup with the option to globally block images/frames/scripts. I prefer to open the network logger and make my rules (or static filters) there. (ABP had something similar.)

22. summerheat

Interesting approach, indeed, but way too laborious for me! Being a lazy guy, I just add filters for cases not covered by the filterlists.

I was referring to the approach explained here if you're using Dynamic Filtering as an Adanced User. uBlock0's features are really extraordinary. Recently gorhill also introduced Dynamic URL Filtering. It makes sense to delve into the overview of uBlock0's filter engine in order to understand how all this stuff works together. It goes far beyond what ABP offers. Really amazing.

23. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

It's going to take me quite a bit of reading and I have ticked the Advanced User box :)

24. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Never used it.

25. valkun

valkun Registered Member

So Firefox 39 has arrived. IIRC, since firefox 40 only signed extensions will be allowed to be installed. both ublock origin and umatrix are still unsigned.
    Fingers crossed they get signed in time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.