µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

WOW! That worked. Thanks

2. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Thanks for "site". Good test for my setup.

3. valkun

valkun Registered Member

I enjoy downloading web pages using wget, either to read them later, or simply to have them as a resource, handbook, that I can always grep through.
    Now, Using wget with options -p and -k, fetches websites with additional images and css scripts, so that the local page looks exactly like the one online.

Except, ublock origin still blocks these scripts even in webpages stored locally.
    I tried whitelisting local files globally, but can't make it work.
    In the whitelist tab, I put "file:///", but it was ignored (ublock put # at the beginning of the line)

So, what should I write in the whitelist filter, to force ublock to ignore any and all filtering on local files?

4. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Try this whitelist directive:

file-scheme​

If this does not work, I will need an exact URL and the steps to perform on my side to reproduce the problem.

5. valkun

valkun Registered Member

Thanks, gorhill!
    Indeed, file-scheme worked!
    great :)

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I am sure this is a 'noob' question. With tracking disabled in all 3 browsers, I get the following:

In Firefox with NoScript (allow scripts globally), uMatrix and uBlock₀ location is shown as Unknown.
    In Opera 29 and Google Chrome, both with UMatrix and uBlock₀ location is shown as our town.

Attached Files:

7. valkun

valkun Registered Member

Im not an expert myself, but I believe that location is based on IP address, and neither ublock nor umatrix is built with IP masking in mind. You would have to use a proxy or VPN to mask your location

8. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Don't know for sure, but in FF, it could be related to the "geo.enabled" set to false, I have no idea how and if Opera and Chrome have equal setables.

9. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Raymond cooking up another important release for this weekend (hopefully), which is poised to bring some important features to uBlock Origin, some of them are
    - Ability to create Static Filters through Network logger (note: dynamic URL filtering is introduced in earlier version)
    - Ability to identify from where the filter originates (i.e., tells the filter list name) in the network logger
    - Another switch to control Remote Fonts

And for complete list of changes, head over to github at (caution, dev build) - https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/tag/0.9.8.7.11

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  10. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

i use a PDF generator for this (doPDF v7)

would wget work better (sometimes doPDF produces blank pages) and could i read the output files of wget with something other than a heavy browser?

11. valkun

valkun Registered Member

doPdf is windows software.
    wget is a linux command line tool for fetching all kinds of things from the internet, not only webpages. This tool does not produce pdfs, only html. To convert it to pdf I use wkhtmltopdf, another linux command line tool.

well you could open up html with a notepad like utility, if You dont mind reading through the text together with html code

12. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

mhtml.png
    If you use Chrome or the new Opera, you can enable 'save pages as mhtml'.

13. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

Also because UM isn't compatible with FF v29. You're not the only moron here Sir... for years I have been trying to find the Any key on my keyboard...

14. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

You could also replace all Flash Player directories with a file called "Flash Player", which will prevent LSO storage... also take some pressure off a browser addon.

15. valkun

valkun Registered Member

and thats a pefectly fine way of doing things.
    I just prefer command line automation and really hate mice lol

16. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Nice one. The Ultimate Wget Download Guide
    This is all off topic is it not ?

17. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

thanks. i have a portable Wget version on the windows side that i didnt use very much. would be nice if there was a very light and portable html reader but i guess that needs a browser.

18. valkun

valkun Registered Member

that depends.
    Do You need to be able to preview the whole page as is in original form? Or do You simply need text.
    If You are satisfied with the latter, there are two command line utilites that convert html to text and enable preview from the terminal: look for html2text and w3m.
    For the former, I guess browser is the way to go. If You are a firefox/chrome/safari user, with Your browser customized with extensions and whatnot, You could install a secondary browser just for preview purposes. I'd go with midori.
    yeah, sorry

19. :argh: Yep, I ruined my floppy disk drive, when I tried to squeeze in a second

20. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

Thanks for good info.

(no more off-topic questions from me)

21. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

I got a problem which I hope can be resolved.

It seems the ublock icon requires downloadable fonts to be active in firefox, but I like to force pages to use the system verdana font as that font is way better for windows then the rubbish web fonts sites use, however if I force verdana font it breaks ublock icons on the addon.

22. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

v0.9.9.0 introduced font filtering as part of site-based switches.

Instead of blocking web fonts in Firefox, try the same through uBlock, by simply adding below rule in My Rules Tab -
    Code:
    no-remote-fonts: * true
    This will allow uBlock to use its Font-awesome package, and rest can still be forced with your custom fonts.

Let me know if solves the issue for you.

23. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

yep that's neat, I will give feedback asap, thanks.

24. Here is a tip for the few members using it for security (blocking third party scripts/iframes) and not for a paranoid default deny all.

When you need to allow third party scripts on some sites, https everywhere is a nice information source because it lists associated websites. You have a quick peek whether you can recognise (third party) websites blocked in uBlock. This is quicker than to try them one by one (when you have a lot third party content, number of combinations increase exponentionally, so it takes some time and trial on error to figure out which one to allow to play a flash movie for example).

See for example https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere/atlas/domains/bloomberg.com.html to run the flash interview on bloomberg with Torvald.

Untitled.png
    Untitled.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2015
  25. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

0.9.9.2-dev.2 Release Dev build: use at your own risk · gorhill/uBlock · GitHub
    Great, thanks! Working lovely on Pale Moon now. :) :thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.