µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Malwar

Malwar Registered Member

Yes thanks for clarifying, my bad I should have been more clear:):thumb:

2. cooperb21

cooperb21 Registered Member

Does ublock work with palemoon besides fact icon is missing. It seems to remove ads but im not sure if its bug free or works fully.

3. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

I expect missing some kind of header for this specific, and the reason why advanced mode is not the default at install is what makes most new "try-out'ers" return quickly to their previous blocker(s), without even knowing about the full potential uBlock offers.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

ahh yeah okay im using it with firefox. i dont use chrome anything personally

5. Kharom

Kharom Registered Member

The missing icon is due to the old pre-Aurora xul interface, which also makes the advanced mode and its dynamic filtering unusable. I tried uBlock once with Pale Moon version 24.7.2 - that's the last version before Moon Child started going down a different development path - and the blocking itself worked fine.

6. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Thanks for the info guys. Installed it on all my pc's both work and home. Any recommendations on settings? I am coming from Adguard. Thanks.

7. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Default, then add MVPS and Dan Pollock's Host.. Tick ON Long Lived Malware, and Fanboys Enhanced Tracking+Social Blocking and let it roll.. Dan Pollocks is really good for strange stuff, some web bug loads, and other things. MVPS covers a TON of stuff most things miss, especially some obscure trackers.

Adguard refugee here too. I really hope they fix Adguard with v6.. Right now it's a bit of a mess IMO.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

AFAIK, these are Off/disabled by default, at least they are off by default for me in uBlock for Firefox.

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

10. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I meant TICK ON... As in, those are awesome ones!

11. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

How do these HOSTS ilters work? Surely they don't actually change your system's HOSTS file.

12. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

uBlock pulls the domains from the host file, and creates adblocking list from it.

13. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

If you're using the EasyPrivacy filter, is it beneficial to also use Fanboy's Enhanced Tracking Filter -- or is that redundant?

14. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Beneficial. If you run tests you will find Fanboy's blocks many things that Easy misses. I tested this myself a few months ago, and really feel you need Fanboy on there.

15. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

In addition to. . . or in place of?

16. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

Trying to decide whether to use NoScript along with 3rd party filters (with most ticked) OR just 3rd Party filters along with Dynamic rules WITHOUT NoScript. This is with FF in Sandboxie.

17. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

With.. I find Dan Pollock a good list to help pick up 'weird' things.

Right now I am running uBlock w/Admuncher. Admuncher picks up a lot of strange stuff, and difficult to pull ads like Roblox and Redtube embedded, and also the heuristic based web bug engine in Admuncher is really quite good. I know all of the downsides of Admuncher, but it is VERY fast, written entirely in machine code. So I stack it with uBlock. uBlock covers HTTP+HTTPS and a wide array of filters. Admuncher snags strange scripts, web bugs, and embedded adverts/trackers. So far I love the combo, but we will see how it pans out over time.

18. nnikoss

nnikoss Registered Member

..Same here,
    for the moment,I block some Google services(google.com,googleapis.com),with the Dynamic rules in ublock(easy to unblock them if needed),and disabled NoScript.

19. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Interesting. . . I've wondered the same thing. I'm currently running NS along with ublock 3rd party filters, but have seriously considered the other option.

20. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Previously I used adblock plus.
    By default ads blocking was enabled.
    Malware, Social Network & Tracking blocking was optional.
    Acceptable ads were enabled by default.

By default, what all blocking does ublock has?
    Is there acceptable ads option?
    Optional blocking option? Like adblock plus above.

21. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

In Dynamic filtering the Global rules in Global Column to block, that I'm using are: 3rd party, inline script, 1stpartyscripts, 3rdpartyscripts, 3rdpartyframes, facebook.com, facebook.net, googletagservices.com, twitter.com and use the Local noop rule to unblock as needed in the Site Specific Column.

Static filer I have the following ticked: Easy list, Peter Lowes Ad server list, Easy privacy, Malware Domain list, Malware Domains, Malware Domains (Long lived),
    Fanboys Annyance list, Dan Pollocks host file, MVPS Hosts.

So far I have problems, pages load nice and fast and memory is low. Any advice is appreciated as I'm just feeling my way around with µBlock in FF.

22. MC Fat Tongue

MC Fat Tongue Registered Member

Hello all,

I'm a new user of µblock (about 1 week) and I really like what I've seen so far. I've been able to get rid of Adblock plus and Request Policy.

I have a question, can I use wildcards in dynamic filtering rules? if so would you please give one or two examples so I can see the correct syntax.

Any help or assistance would be appreciated.

23. tlu

tlu Guest

See the Dynamic Filtering wiki page, specifically this one.

24. SLE

SLE Registered Member

The wildcard qusetion is not answered there and as far as I tried out wildcards seem not to work. A workaroud is to use toplevel domains.

Exampele:

If I ad: google.com accounts.google.com * noop than accounts.google.com is not blocked for all goolge services and I don't need specific rules like
    keep.google.com accounts.google.com *
    or
    mail.google.com accounts.google.com *

But wildcards ala
    *google.com accounts.google.com *
    oder
    google.* accounts.google.com * (for international domains like google.de)
    are not working.

25. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Wildcards as part of hostnames are not supported. Rule evaluation efficiency has priority over flexibility, and a rule such as `google.*` remove the ability to use a fast look-up map. Currently one can have a lot of rules without performance degradation, but supporting `google.*` woud lead to potential loss of performance with a lot of rules, and this is not where I want uBlock to be.

And for rules accepting hostname directive as `google.*`, this would also introduce flaky security/privacy: any hostname foreign to Google but with `google` somewhere in its hostname would be a match: `google.evil.com`.

Regarding `*.google.com`, all hostnames in a rule are implicitly `*.example.com`: subdomains always inherit the rules of a domain, unless a narrower rule is set on a subdomain. So really `example.com` is equivalent to `*.example.com`.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.