µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

In my opinion you Raymond shoot yourself in the wish to have a content blocker be more popular. Quality will always show and the popularity of these type of extensions will always remain quite a niche usage of course.

One mistake was the default install allow 1st party rule. It should have been blocked and instruction given how to whitelist it globally.

What happened was that people without much knowledge started to mess with the matrix elements and make stupid rules. The matrix could have been even hidden as an option. Least bothersome and the preferred way in my opinion is to just whitelist the domain scopes and stay as much as possible away to touch the matrix elements except see what is blocked or allowed there.

I don't know about the implementation details of course, but as a GUI uMatrix has such great potential. It might be intimidating only when newcomers are puzzled how to make things suitable to they usage. And that default 1st party allow rule shoots in the users legs too in that.

2. anon

anon Registered Member

3. bberkey1

bberkey1 Registered Member

It's amazing how important computers and internet use is to most people, to some it's their very livelihood and/or career, yet won't take the time to learn how to better protect themselves or how to effectively keep their machines running correctly(including phones and tablets). There really is no excuse anymore to not have the general knowledge enough to understand the basic components of something like Umatrix, as a simple read of the Wiki pretty much covers the bare basics. From there you could experiment, but you don't' have to. The problem is people don't give two craps about their computers or security enough to take the time to learn anything anymore.

Everyone wants a one click and done method, but that's not how it works (see the 'clean my PC commercials and how one click fixes everything :argh:) Its the same reason why people still rely on anti-viruses solely and think they'll be protected from everything, until boom! There must be a million google results about general computer security or tips on how to protect yourself, yet no one will take the 2 seconds to type it in and read the sites that have things laid out, step by step for them(most with pictures to help), yet these are the people that always click on the "you may have just won XXX. Just click here to see the results" and wonder why they got hacked

Is Umatix a little more complex, sure, but the simple fact that most people who live and die with the computers don't even know what the task manager is, so an extension like Umatix seems like advanced calculus (even though it really isn't that difficult) and it scares them, when again, a simple read would show them it's really just basic math.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes that's how it is and I don't see this changing anytime soon. Most people use computers as a tool and all they want is to use it as they like with as little problems as possible. Using updated AV, installing updates and making backup is most you can expect from average Joe. If they also learn how to practice safe computing, that's more than enough for them.

5. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Think there should be some final decision about what the exact name should be.
    It started out as µBlock, but the µ-part creates some difficulties on some webpages.
    Right now, there are software sites, forums, etc... either talking about µBlock and equally as much about uBlock.
    That doesn't serve the popularity or clearity to the user searching for an ABP alternative not much good.

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I've been giving gorhill's µBlock a bit of a spin on x64 Chrome and PortableApps x86 version. All I can say is that there is a noticeable speed improvement opening pages on both browsers, especially the portable. I was using ABP previously. I'm not noticing any problems on any specific pages yet. I'm awarding gorhill the: 'You've Really Impressed Daveski17' prize. :D:thumb:

Edit: It's working well on Chromium (Ubuntu) too.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  7. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

its a script blocker too..superb app.

8. Why the (intermediate) pop-up menu, what was wrong showing the tabbed options directly.

Any way I never used a script blocker it was to much hassle. uBlock changed that, because the spreadsheet like GUI (source on the vertical, elements on the horizontal axis) is relatively easy to use. By using simular GUI, the switch from uBlock advanced user to uMatrix is also easy to make. So when the pop-up menu of uBlock was introduced, I switched from uBlock to uMatrix.

9. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

10. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Yesterday I tried ublock in Palemoon x64, but the icon didn't appear, so I'm guessing the 2 are not compatible. Shame I would have liked to give it a try.

11. Daveski17

I believe that µBlock is essentially still a beta for Firefox. I’ve been giving it a bit of trial on a virtually vanilla PortableApps version. Here it is displaying a purported 27 (28%) of requests being blocked on Reuters UK. The page loaded rapidly and nothing appeared broken. µBlock is running very well for me on this Firefox version and seems to handle Reuters and other ad & script infested journals with relative aplomb.

ublockfx2.jpg

12. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Thanks Daveski. I had to uninstall it from Palemoon, so continue with Noscript and Ghostery. My other browser is Opera 12.15 so not much chance of ublock there either.

Regards

13. Daveski17

You're welcome ghodgson, I reckon it will only be a matter of time before it is more established for Firefox and also works on its derivatives such as Palemoon.

14. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

16. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Thanks, rdsu! Working fine on my portable edition of Cyberfox

17. Fad

Fad Registered Member

Is there any way of manually increasing the length of the popup UI ? (to remove the scrollbars when they aren`t always necessary on a large screen)

I thought there could be a CSS hack or something as there seems to be no options or settings for it.

18. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I'm assuming that at this point I will need to manually go out and get updates for this? I can't find any info that states otherwise.

19. Daveski17

It should auto-update on Chrome/Chromium. You can get the 0.8.8.2 for Firefox here: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases

20. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Thanks. Not a Chrome user, but it looks like Firefox will be a manual effort, at least for now. Not a big deal, as long as I don't forget about it.

21. Daveski17

You're welcome. It works well on Fx as an adblocker. I think the recent fixes didn't really apply to Firefox and were predominantly for WebKit based browsers. It's still at 0.8.8.0 on Mozilla's add on page:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock/

22. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

Was using Palemoon but µBlock wouldn't work completely with it as the icon wouldn't show. So I switched over to FF to check out µBlock and so far has been quite impressive and it looks like a keeper. So my new setup just might be µBlock and NoScript in FF.

23. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

I simply hope gorhill (and Deathamns) don't get discouraged by some harsh comments from a handful of freaks who believe ABP is the 8th World Wonder, but keep on refining this fantastic addon.

24. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Does anyone uses µBlock with Ghostery? Is it necessary?

25. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Ghostery isn't necessary with the right filters checked.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.