UAC (User Account Control) discussion thread

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by MrBrian, Jan 3, 2015.

1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

If you do switch to LUA, it might be easier to create a new admin account, and demote your existing admin account to LUA, so that you don't have to redo too many settings.

2. guest

guest Guest

Thank you. :) Yes that is what I did in a few attempts. But since apps can't write or even run without elevation, these are kind of preventing me to go all LUA.

3. MrBrian

You're welcome :).

What I do is in post #5.

4. guest

guest Guest

5. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

6. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I generally have to deal with this on an app by app basis. It is almost always a data folder or .ini or .dat or or other data files inside of the program's folder in the "Program Files" directory. I have to change the file permission from "read and execute" to "read" and "write". Newer windows applications tend not to put their configuration and data files in the main program folder and I've had less LUA compatibility issues with newer software.

7. guest

guest Guest

Indeed, more modern apps usually put them in AppData Roaming folder. But I had to use these ye olde apps, dated back up to Win2K era. :(

8. MrBrian

The issue in post #22 was fixed in Windows 10, according to a May 4, 2015 post in thread UAC Bypass.

9. MrBrian

10. MrBrian

I tried the POC from the last post on Windows 7 x64:
    a) in admin account with UAC set to default: got message "We're UIAccess" without UAC prompt, apparently indicating elevation of privilege.
    b) in admin account with UAC set to max: got message "We're UIAccess" without UAC prompt, apparently indicating elevation of privilege.
    c) in a standard account: got message "We're UIAccess" without UAC prompt, apparently indicating elevation of privilege!

If there really is elevation of privilege in c), then I don't understand why Microsoft won't fix it?!

More info:
    User Account Control: Only elevate UIAccess applications that are installed in secure locations
    Security Considerations for Assistive Technologies
    Breaking the Broker

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  11. MrBrian

From Passive UAC Elevation:
    Mentioned on Twitter: https://twitter.com/malwaretechblog/status/530798290309505024.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.