UAC Supervision of User Created Folder

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ddot, Oct 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddot

ddot Registered Member

I've created a new folder and would like to have it supervised with UAC like "program Files" is by default. Any guides on changing the necessary permissions to the folder?

Running Win7 x64 Pro.

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I don't know.

TweakUAC will let you set permission levels for UAC.

Windows only provides the default "High" and "Off" settings but Tweak UAC lets you set it so that you get the high protection without its annoying administrator prompts.

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Just right click "Program Files", and then go to Properties > Security > Advanced, and take a look at what's there. Then, just mimic those permissions, if that's what you're looking for.

4. ddot

ddot Registered Member

m00nbl00d has the right idea, but I was hoping for a way to do it without trying to manually find and correctly duplicate every ownership and permission setting.

After some more searching, I came across robocopy and it's ability to copy permissions. An article I found had some suggestions on copying a folder in the root of a drive.

As a test, I made a blank partition and assigned it to e:\. I ran the following code from an elevated command prompt (attempting to copy everything in C: but excluding all the files and directories other than "Program Files" and keeping all attributes):

Code:
    ROBOCOPY c:\ e:\ /XF c:\$Recycle.Bin "c:\Documents and Settings" c:\PerfLogs "c:\Program Files (x86)" "c:\ProgramData" c:\Recovery "C:\System Volume Information" c:\Windows c:\Users C:\pagefile.sys /copyall
    No luck. The log table shows one directory as being "skipped" and nothing appeared in e:\.

Any ideas if I might be on the right track with robocopy or how I can adjust my robocopy code?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.