U.S. CIA admits it monitors Internet

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by MrBrian, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

From http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/cia-open-source-center-monitors-analyzes-social-web-110411:

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I thought everyone knew this? lol

3. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Well, I'm shocked. Who would have thought...

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Gee, maybe now people will stop labeling me a conspiracy theorist, lol. I know what the heck I'm talking about, this stuff isn't all that new, save for the rise of social network operations. The CIA and NSA are everywhere, cancel your ISP service and hang up your mobile phones if you're not prepared to deal with it. They do a whole lot more than they can/will admit to as well. But, yes, they do all this, and beyond spying on your Facebook, it's actually vital for them to be able to do these things.

5. traxx75

traxx75 Registered Member

These guys are not doing anything except carefully browing the public internet.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Open_Source_Intelligence
    They're not "hacking" anything nor accessing anything that we haven't made available to anyone (like the comments on ThreatPost seem to infer). It is, however, a reminder of why you should be careful of what you make public via things like Facebook and Twitter.

People just love to have an excuse to think the government is watching them :p

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

*Disconnects Internet Immediately* :rolleyes:

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

And people keep doing everything they can and coming up with little happy thoughts and excuses to not believe that governments are watching. This is no U.S or U.K issue, though they get the most press when cats get let out of bags. This is worldwide and it's here to stay. Yes, they do watch the publicly accessible communications, as you say. However, they do much more than that, and I doubt the overall population will ever believe it no matter what evidence piles up.

Many now retired agents from the big league agencies, and plenty of current ones are shaking their heads, both at how far the monitoring has come, and the attitudes of people who either don't care or don't believe what is going on. This has been going on for a long time, and it'll continue to get more and more advanced. Some choose to believe those in the know, some are willing to research it as best they can. Most though, most are oblivious to it.

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Stay off your mobile phone too :D

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

*Connects temporally to check Wilders*
    What? They're reading my text messages? *Dumps Phone*
    Gotta start using smoke signals or maybe pigeons.
    *Disconnects Again*

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Lol Noob :D

It's too late to stop the monitoring, but it's also too late and senseless to revert technologically to the less "connected" days.

11. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Yeah, and don't send any text messages also...I'm considering the conversion of the pigeons in garden to "carrier" usage :D

12. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

No surprise at all...:argh:

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It worked for the Persians and countless other civilizations ;)

14. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Cannot pigeons be tracked, and trapped or caught? Attached messages can be unsealed, decrypted and resealed, I am sure. Anyone know ancient history of crypto?

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, we're veering very off topic here, but maybe the mods won't see this as too bad. Homing pigeons, as an example, were used for centuries, starting all the way back to the Egyptians. Unlike the movies, hawks and such were not used. Of course, being so commonly used, they were targets for arrows (later guns), and other methods. Cryptography has been around since people began to learn to read and write...and was very effective in its earliest days as most were not literate. Eventually, as more became literate, of course encryption had to be more complex and creative. That's when you started seeing things like invisible inks and such.

Of course, these methods didn't last too long.

16. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

18. traxx75

traxx75 Registered Member

I'm a believe in the old "Be alert, not alarmed" adage, in relation to the article. I have no doubt that the western governments have the ability to surreptitiously monitor communications if they want. I just think that too many people use these articles as evidence that the government is watching _them_ specifically, 24/7. My problem was more with people skewing the context of this particular article to use it as "evidence" of something else, not with the idea of governments being able to target civilian communications or private social networking data. I don't agree with extrapolating from these types of articles to assume the existence of something covert. Some governments make no secret that they actively interfere with their citizens' online communications but, in those cases, said citizens are generally quite aware of the threat.

I agree, however, that this article is good for raising awareness (especially in more complacent Western societies) that we should all be careful of what information about ourselves we make available online. Too many people seem to be willing to provide a lot of personal information that they should probably a little more frugal with.

Should the CIA come out and say "We have access to all of your private communications" then that is the time for "I told you so!" :)

19. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Resistance is futile all of our movements and thoughts as well as our actions are being monitered; This very thread is under intense scrutinity. :blink:.

Sorry. :ouch:.

20. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

21. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

When they willingly do that, if the CIA/NSA and the "public" government come out and say that, there really will be a point of no return. My point in my post was to point out that people are willingly blinded by some sense of "I have nothing to hide" or "They wouldn't do that to us". The sense of disbelief, no matter who says or shows what to the contrary, and the overall lack of caring, is more disturbing than what the government is doing.

22. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Leave out thoughts and you're pretty much on the money. Darpa is working on the thought issue, and no, I don't mean some magical psychic BS, simply human predictability, which they're already fairly good at.

23. CogitoTesting

Project MKULTRA is still alive and well; it simply went undercover. That's all.

Thanks. :blink:.

24. CogitoTesting

You'd be surprised. As a matter of fact the "Oh So Silly" is not the only intelligence agency interested in that esoteric field. Wild Bill Donovan looks quite amateurish. Once again :blink:.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  25. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

MKULTRA is very much alive and kicking, yes. However, they're relying on more "Earthly" methods, since human beings aren't capable of ESP. Instead, drugs, hypnotism and just plain "brainwashing" (though that's not truly accurate of a term) have to do the work. But anyway, before this train gets too far off track, the CIA and every other agency is capable of, interested in and does monitor all communications. Whether by phone, net, whatever, it isn't new and it isn't going to slow down, let alone stop. It can be believed, it can be tossed aside as conspiracy theorists' chatter, it can be prepared for or it can be ignored. There's no choice in monitoring or not monitoring, there is only a choice in accepting and dealing with it as legally and humanly possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.