Types of Software Piracy

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Jul 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Software Piracy Harms No-one? Think Again - It Hits Each And Every One Of Us In The Pocket
    Federation attacks complacency as piracy costs £2.5 billion in lost government income

In a presentation to business leaders John Lovelock, Manager, Federation Legal and Affairs at the Federation Against Software Theft, has lambasted the complacency prevalent in both business and the UK in general toward the issue of software piracy.

"For too long people, whether in business or not, have taken the view that software piracy is a victimless crime. It is not. In fact the opposite is true, it affects each and every one of us in the UK and in the most dramatic way possible - through our back pockets," he stated.

FAST

2. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I think software piracy is wrong. If you can't buy the program than it wasn't meant to be. But a good rule of thumb is if you can't buy but want to buy a program save all the money you find. I find change im my couches and chairs all the time.

3. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Software piracy is, IMNSHO, a very dishonorable thing to do. Good software costs good money for a reason; getting cracked versions for free is quite disrespectful to the people who busted their asses making it.

4. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I agree with you pigman. :) say no to cracked software.

5. dog

dog Guest

Pirating also results in lower quality products ... as the lost margins/sales result in less funding for R&D IMHO. ;)

Piracy is theft ... there is no way to rationalize it ... although many try ;)

dog - *puppy*

6. eternaldemo

eternaldemo Guest

I just reimage every 30 days. It's legal.

7. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Oh yeah, nowadays in my country, there are people who secretly set up stalls to sell illegal VCDs.

8. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

>I just reimage every 30 days. It's legal.

Is it? Maybe it is, but it sure sounds like a PITA...

9. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Someone we should not help the next time he posts. :mad:

10. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I'd be curious for opinions on one area -- "warez" and its close cousins are pretty clear-cut cases of theft, no question about that, but this is a rather fuzzy "gray area" that we've all run into.

What about shareware that remains fully functional (other than, typically, the addition of "nagware" if it wasn't there to start with) after a trial period which may or may not be spelled out, and which you continue to use without registering? Obviously you're not contributing to its revenue -- but do people feel generally that this should also be thought of as theft?

Best to all,
    Mike

11. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have a hunch that it goes against the end user rules required by the software maker. And I wouldn't be so sure that it is legal, it is just another way to steal anothers product and hard work with out paying. :mad:

12. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Still theft in my book, even if it's legal. And as I said, it is pretty disrespectful to the people who busted their rears making the software...

13. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

Oh please, that was siad by the BSA, the anti-piracy group. I wouldn't believe a word they said.

Yes software piracy is bad but sometimes it is beneficial to the software industry, for example most students can't afford to purchase photoshop, so they pirate it. When they get a job the company that employs them must by photoshop to maximise that persons usefulness.

14. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Excuse me?

15. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

Well it is a loop, because everyone uses photoshop, students pirate photoshop to learn it. They have skills using photoshop and not the gimp or corel draw, so companies purchase photoshop. Because companies use photoshop, students pirate it. If students in their masses started using the gimp, then companies would stop purchasing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.