Two Win XP SP2 on the same HDD

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by GPH, Sep 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GPH

GPH Registered Member

Hello,

I'm about to buy DDS 9 but have a question due to past experience with PM 8.0...
    My PC (Packardbell) was sold with all OS installed (bundle OEM, disk has a tattoo for the restore,...) and the first thing that I've done was to create the recovery dvd (which is ok and already used at list 10 times in a week :().
    This recovery dvd starts with reformating the entire disk loosing any partition that could have been created before, this is important for the rest of my story :)...
    I wanted to have on the PC, 2 install of WinXP (one for me, one for the childrens), so have used PM to create a second partition, activate it, ... Then I've tried to install my old Win XP (update from W98 without SP1,SP2, ...), it started correctly, asking W98 original disk, but then fail to install.
    I suspect that this is due to the SATA disk that I've in this new PC and that my old XP is not able to deal with (drivers ?, I'm not an expert...). I cannot use twice the recovery DVD as it erase all partitions each time...

Fine, I said mayself, lets try an other way... reinstall the recovery (hours...), PM again to reduce the size of the main partition (XP1) and then PM again to create an image of the partition in disk free space (XP2).
    Bootmagic installed, fine, reboot..., ok I can now choose, yahooooooo :).

Then I started configuring the two differents installs and discover the first issue. Installed monitor drivers and setting screen resolution to a higher one on XP1, reboot, select XP2 at the boot menu and..... strange XP2 is already in the good resolution.... asked myself how this could be possible but didn't find... This was a minor issue for me so continued. Create 2 users on XP2, go back to XP1 and.... 2 users created on XP2 are now seen on XP1 despite XP1 partition is not seen by XP2 at least in the explorer...

I'm completly lost here and don't understand how all this thing works, because soft installed on one XP are not visible to the other but it seems that some windows settings are common as if they were physically adressed on the HDD.

Question is, will I obtain the same result with DDS9 if I do exactly the same thing, clone XP + dual boot menu ?

Many thanks for your help,

David

2. lasteagle

lasteagle Guest

I'm French. So sorry for my english.
    I try make multi boot witch acronis OS selector on the same partition.
    It's work fine witch XP SP1 but it doesn't work with SP2.
    When i apply the same process with XP SP2, i lost my first OS.
    I don't understand why.
    I have 4 XP SP1 on one partition and i make more tests, but for time all are ok.

3. GPH

GPH Registered Member

Merci, je suis francais aussi :).

I've just bought DDS 9, seems nearly equivalent as partition magic... Will try to install 2 OS, if at least I can have SP1 and SP2 on the same HDD it would be fine.
    Is there a tutorial somewhere ?.

Thx,

David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.