Two W7 and one XP snapshots on an SSD

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by jwcca, May 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

I just wanted to share this in case anyone wants to do the same or almost the same.

I did a fresh install of W7 Pro 64 bit (OEM) to a Corsair SSD.
    I ran the vista file. I didn't find the 100MB partition, W7 was installed in C which was the only partition.
    I installed FD-ISR v 3.31.235.

I made a copy of the primary snapshot. (no problems at this point because there hasn't been any fragmentation yet, but see below)

I then did the mundane things like apply SP1 and lots of updates to Windows plus install my 64 bit versions of my applications.

I also restored a stripped down XP archive from an HDD.

The only issue that I found was that, when copying from one W7 snapshot to another, the first attempt had many errors with some files not being found/copied. A second attempt immediately after had fewer errors and finally the 3rd attempt had no errors, everything was copied correctly.
    (I had booted to the destination copy after the first attempt, and it was a serious mess, so I rebooted to the source, which was still good, and performed the next 2 attempts until the destination was exactly the same as the source.) Windows and all my applications worked properly now on the copy.

Later on I also used a disk cloning program to copy the original SSD to an identical SSD. There were copy problems there as well, but FD-ISR was working and by restoring FD-ISR archives (kept on an HDD) made from the first SSD, I was able to end up with a perfect clone, including the SID.

Is SSD fragmentation or random read/write speed a problem?
    I don't know if the FD-ISR copy problems are something related only to Corsair SSDs, in general, or to any manufacturers SSDs, in general, or to the speed of the read/writes for my specific SSDs (which have sequential read/write times of 285/275 MB/s) because the data in the snapshots is highly fragmented at this point, i.e. not sequential at all.

But in the end, I have two SSDs that are identical, with two operating systems. The second SSD is disconnected and is meant only as a backup to the first should the first fail (for any reason).

2. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Had a small problem. FD-ISR became disabled in the XP snapshot (because it was copied from a different drive?). I fixed it by opening Process Hacker > Services and double clicked on the FDISR service isrservice.exe and keyed the correct binary path which is

c:\$ISR\0\isrservice.exe

Process Hacker fixed the registry and started the service and everythings OK again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.