Two versions of Acronis in two Snapshots

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Folks, I have an old version 6 of Acronis TrueImage on my system. This is the one version of ATI that I never really heard anything bad about, always appeared to be reliable for everyone, so I have kept it.

Last year I won a free version 9 of ATI in a contest but have never installed it. I was thinking of booting out of my Primary and into another Snapshot, uninstalling version 6 and installing version 9, just in that one Snapshot. Then I could image my entire system onto another hard drive using both versions, using my Primary for a version 6 backup, and the other Snapshot for a version 9 backup; I'd just have to keep track of which backup file was made with which version. o_O That way, IF recovery is ever needed, and if one fails, I can try the other.

Anyone see any problems with doing this? Not sure what I'm asking here, I guess I'm wondering would the Master Boot Record be OK thru out all of this?

Thank guys.

Acadia

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Acadia,
    I can't say it's right or wrong, because I would never use two versions of Acronis True Image Home on the same computer. It doesn't feel right to me and unlogical. I like to avoid possible problems instead of creating them.
    You might get a better reply, if you post this question in the Acronis Forums.

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks Erik, but I guess that I was mostly concerned about the MBR being left alone. Also, if I posted this question in the Acronis forums, I wonder how many of those folks are familiar with FirstDefense and the concept of "Snapshots"?

I believe that the two Acronis programs themselves wouldn't even see each other being in two different "c:drives", just don't want the MBR, which is outside of all Snapshots, to get confused.

Acadia

4. WWS

WWS Registered Member

You might like Version 9 better than 6, especially the image validation part.
    You could archive an image with V6 and archive an FDISR snapshot on your 2nd hard drive, then do your thing.
    Important to keep your ATI license numbers handy....your version 9 probably needs updating.
    I looked back at ATI6.0.273 which I started using in Sept 2002 and it was 9.5MB.
    Now I'm using ATI9.0.3854 which became available in Dec 2006 and it's now up to 85.9MB.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yes, but thats's not a totally valid comparison, as the new version includes Bartpe stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.