Two V5 Questions

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by COSMO26, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

My XP SP3 Media Ctr system is working as smoothly as I could hope - And I have to rely on Auto-Firewall and Default Settings to do their thing as I'm no expert on ESS inner-workings.

I see that the Port 995 POP3 setting that AT&T ISP wants (SSL is Chk'd in Outlook setup) is in the "Use POP3S for Selected Ports" section, 995 IS shown BUT That Section is "Grayed-out". Is This POP3S Area Supposed to be Grayed-out?

So far there are No Issues with my having MBAM Pro (real-time enabled) AND SuperAS Pro (real-time enabled). Does anyone see a major Duplication of Efforts "with V5" or any Predictable Conflict?

Any other Setup suggestions beyond "DEFAULT" are appreciated although I've seen no posts on any "big-deal" changes that must be made.

Many Thanks!

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you want to have the POP3S communication scanned, enable SSL scanning in the Protocol filtering setup first.

3. COSMO26

Thanks, Marcos, I see that. This is where I still Need Help.

What I Really Need to know is Even with "Server requires SSL" checked for Outlook setup Can the 995 Incoming Server port that AT&T wants for Outlook be put in the POP3 section with 110 And Leave POP3S Grayed-out?

I had 110 & 995 together in 4.2.71's POP3 section (maybe wrongly) and V5 (not me) put 995 in the POP3S section during the Install Over 4.2.

Thanks again!

4. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

When I researched the notion of multiple RT scanners about a year ago it came back that 1 RT scanner at a time is best. Similar to 2 AV's rule.

Best to check with the vendors and ensure each product excludes all the others while checking.

5. COSMO26

Thanks, Escalader. I had forgotten that some kind "expert" had given me 12 MBAM File names for Exclusion in ESS and the V5 Install only included a partial List. I have Re-entered All 12 and will see what happens. I am not certain MBAM will know what ESS V5 has in it in order to give a fully researched answer but will contact them, anyway.

I'm still needing to know if port 995 can be added to the POP3 section List WITH 110 Versus having it in POP3S section. AT&T calls 995 a POP3 (incoming) port and states to Chk "Server requires SSL". In ESS Setup does that require 995 to be a POP3S member or is just POP3 OK?

FWIW, I'm running ESET ESS V5 Beta, Firefox 4 Beta, MBAM Pro and SuperAS Pro Without Issues.

For anyone who cares, the MBAM Exclusion List I was given is as follows:
    1. C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
    2. C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamcore.dll
    3. C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
    4. C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamnet.dll
    5. C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ssubtmr6.dll
    6. C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\vbalsgrid6.ocx
    7. C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    8. C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
    9. C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    10. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
    11. C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
    12. C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
    You can also do the following in MBAM Ignore List for ESET:
    1. C:\Program Files\ESET...
    2. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET...

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  6. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Excellent! Users forget this exclude trick but it is important when using products in your layered defence that come from different vendors.

I don't know the % of issues exclusion prevents but I'll bet it's over 50%!

7. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

You should start a new sticky thread and post this.:D

8. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

You would exclude all of your local disk, because MBAM scans every file you access in your disk
    process exclusion is not the same than file exclusion

Last edited: May 22, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.