Two ShadowProtect questions

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Acadia, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Downloaded and installed the Full Evaluation version of ShadowProtect, so far I'm impressed, not surprising seeing that it came highly recommended from a few folks whose opinion I greatly respect. :cool: I imaged my entire hard drive, 41GB of data, in 23 minutes. Now I have two questions.

I am doing this from memory so I might not be getting the exact wording correct: when I first open up the program it asks me if I want to Buy Now, Buy Later, or Activate. So far I am choosing Buy Later. What is the difference between Buy Now and Activate?

Question #2: Naturally I will want to test the recovery disk but I do not want to actually recover the image that I just made. When I put the recovery disk in the cd drive and reboot, and the recovery mode takes over, at what screen just before the actual recovery begins can I cancel out so that I don't actually recover?

Thank you.

Acadia

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

1, Buy now, means go online, with credit card in hand and make the purchase. Activate, means you've already done that and have received your license code, which you enter and it activates.

2. Once you open the recovery environment, and SP is open, select the restore wizard. browse to the image and click on it. After that you will come to the selection of destination of the restore. I'd stop there.

Acadia note that if you want to verify your image you can do so under windows. Vers 3.0 will have it built into the GUI, but in Versoin 2.0 is it is manual command line driven. Open windows explorer and navigate to folder c:\program files\storagecraft\Shadowprotect. There you will find verifyimage.cmd. You can type it for the instructions, but it would be like this. If your image file is image.spf on drive d: the command would be

Verifyimage "d:\image.spf"

Pete

3. hjbyram

hjbyram Registered Member

Hi Acadia & Hi Pete --I never knew about the VerifyImage.cmd, which I found on my PC, & which is not discussed in the manual that I could see.

But Pete, sorry to be obtuse - just exactly how do you get that to work?

THANKS, Heather

4. Peter2150

Hi Heather

First as I said in V3 it will be in the gui.

What I forgot above is you would first do a start>run>cmd

That opens a command(dos) window. Then you would issue the command:

cd c:\program files\storagecraft\shadowprotect
    Then you should be able to do a dir and see the verifyimage.cmd file.

Then you would issue the command as I showed it in the post above.

Pete

5. hjbyram

hjbyram Registered Member

Hi Pete -
    Just wanted you to know that I did execute this command and verified my last backup. While waiting for V3 to have this, I'm delighted to know about this command.

Always wondered what you were doing when you said you 'verified the image'

Thanks again - Heather

6. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I feel sorry for them who verified good but thereafter can't restore ,i read several stories over at the Acronisforum,so it can also happen with SP stuff,why not !As the saying goes "the proof of the pudding is in the eating " so i verify my image by restoring it after backup.

huub.

7. Peter2150

Hi Huub

Yep you are absolutely right. But so far I've never had an SP image that verified and failed to restore. Still I test restore every image.

Pete

8. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

After a successful backup, the backup image file itself (this applies to all image backup products) is still vulnerable to disk rot and file system corruption. There are a number of causes of disk rot and file system corruption, but most often the cause has nothing to do with the actual backup product itself. At any rate, this is why it's important to have the ability to verify the data integrity of a backup image file.

One thing that ShadowProtect has always done is to perform an automatic verify during any restore operation to ensure that the data that is being restore is correct and has not suffered corruption as the image file sat there on the disk.

9. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Never meet these corruptions sofar,if what you said is true then the immediate restore after backup is a double integrity check by itself,and what you said about corruption vote for more frequent backups and spreading these across different media.But my point is that i have to know beforehand that my image is not corrupt,only way to know for sure is a restore and see what happen. A verify between backup and restore is always doubtfull and gives no 100% guarantee,as some Acronis users can attest to this nightmare "verify nice but fails to restore"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.