Two Router Port forwarding

Discussion in 'hardware' started by sfi, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sfi

sfi Registered Member

Hello, I used to port forward properly, but the old modem died and we replaced it with a router/modem combo. The routers are as follows:

Router 1 (DIR-655) - All the computers are hooked up to this one.
    Router 2 (SE-567) - Router 1 connects with this one. Router 2 is connected to the internet.

I can access everything fine from the Router 1 external IP (192.168.1.64, internal to router 2), and directly connecting to the port forwarded machine. I port forwarded port 6813 on both routers, but I can't get it on my true (internet) external ip.

Router 1 - Port forward 6813 to my computer
    Router 2 - Port forward 6813 to 192.168.1.64

Can anyone explain why? I tried searching this issue on the net, but everyone keeps talking about the DCHP, which I don't see as a problem right now.

I have also moved the 192.168.1.64 into a DMZ, but it did nothing.

Also, it gives a "Connection Refused" error. When I tried with a port that was not mapped to anything, then Terminal would sit there and do nothing.

Thanks,
    SFI

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  2. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

Just out of curiosity, why are you using two routers? I'm guessing that you are using the Siemens router/modem combo to replace the dead modem and that you previously had the D-link router behind that. If this is the case, you don't really need that, the Siemens router also has LAN ports and wireless. Then you only have to deal with one router, which is obviously easier.

If you really want to use this setup for whatever reason, try putting the Siemens in bridging mode, then configure your port forwarding in the other one.

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

From a guy who was a routing wizard for a large corporation - "don't introduce routing unless you absolutely have to".

I feel your pain. I have had to use 1port modem/routers and mate them to a standard 4port router before. It was always an exercise in frustration. Many of the firmware in modem/routers suck majorly, and don't offer bridge modes.

I used to set the WAN router to route all packets to a different subnet, then set the LAN router to that subnet. So in your case router 1 would use 192.168.1.1, with the gateway being 192.168.0.1. Then router 2 would be 192.168.0.1, would have the WAN ip/dns information. Data passes from 1.1 subnet to 0.1 subnet, then out. When incoming, data passes from 0.1 to 1.1. I never liked doing it this way, but was forced to. Maybe you can flash your WAN router if you don't have any good options.

Always a pain doing it this way.

Sul.

4. sfi

sfi Registered Member

Well, got them working, but I feel like its being held with duct tape... Turns out I can't access my own IP from itself now, but I tested it on another network and it works. To answer Johnny123, The wireless on the Siemens is dead, so I needed to chain it to a second router

5. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

OK, that makes sense. Did you set it up the way Sully suggested? If you can set the Siemens router to bridge mode that would make things a lot easier.

Having googled around a bit, I have read that some people have received this router from their ISP flashed with a firmware that the ISP developed themselves and apparently missing one or two features of the standard Siemens firmware o_O

6. sfi

sfi Registered Member

The Siemens is in bridging mode. I don't understand the gateways thing that Sully is talking about. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.