two machines with problems

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by uconnfan, Jan 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uconnfan

uconnfan Registered Member

My firewall asked about this program lass32.exe and I couldn't find anything about file after several searches so I have blocked it. I have had so many attacks on this computer as my child doesn't want to run a firewall. Her school's computer support staff will not support her if a firewall is installed. It was a last ditch effort to find the problems with this machine. running XP on this machine. It is nothing but trouble. But I have killed off much of the issues now down to a last few questions on this machine.

smsss.exe
    remo.exe
    support.exe
    lass32.exe

no idea about these programs what they do or if I have to get rid of them.

My machine I run 98 SE with Norton AV, Spybot, Adware and ZoneAlarm and have had no problem until just recently. Right now that machine will boot up and shut down immediately. Only works in safe mode. Going to use kid's machine to help determine problem with my 98SE machine. Any idea on how to best approach this problem.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

here is a little info on one of them

Attached Files:

3. bigc73542

hereis info on one more of them

Attached Files:

4. bigc73542

Follow all of the steps and instructions here and you should be able to clean your computer. if you have any questions or problems please post back here

bigc

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

To stop your computer shutting down, do the following:

Click on Start

Click on Run

Type in: shutdown -a

This will abort the shutdown process and let you continue using the computer.

Cheers :D

6. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Ditto to what Spanner says here!!!!
    I apologise if this is slightly off-topic, but Uconnfan, could you elaborate a little on this statement please?
    Is this her home computer or a laptop she takes to school?
    Is she using the School's network? It seems inconceivable that the school takes such a viewpoint! I know several techies in several schools here in Oz and they all seem to be very security conscious, both with regard to their school networks and in their advice and assistance to staff and students alike! What is it that they won't support and more importantly WHY!
    Regards,
    Buck.

7. uconnfan

Thanks for the replies.

In reguard to "Is this her home computer or a laptop she takes to school?" Home computer and Laptop but not taken to school. She telecomutes to school thru their network from home or remotely. Attendance is thru a VPN connection i believe. Assignments and communications is run thru software supplied by the school. Research is done thru major shared online libraries thru the school's network and thru web browsing.

"Is she using the School's network?" Yes via VPN i believe.

The laptop has been seldom used and is primary an insurance backup (runs XP), with the desktop home computer the main means of performing school work. That computer is running 98SE with all crit. updates, spybot, adware, anti-virus but no firewall. Occasionally I will get on and use some of the online scans that are available.

I have recommended that she use another browser other than IE as I am concerned that Microsoft has tried to be too much to many people in too many ventures that the quality has disappeared. I am still reluxant to commit to XP as I find that 98SE has been very good to me. I have recently switch to firefox as my primary browser to get away from IE. I have noticed the Penn State University's computer support staff has advised it's client base to a browser other than IE.

8. uconnfan

In regard to the following advise:

To stop your computer shutting down, do the following:

Click on Start

Click on Run

Type in: shutdown -a

This will abort the shutdown process and let you continue using the computer

I booted up into safe mode and was followed the above advise. no program shutdown was found. I performed a search and found that the program was not found (Win98se).

9. uconnfan

OK how do I get rid of the W32/Gaobot.FN ?

how do I get rid of the W32.Akosw@mm as well.

I have not been able to find any info about the remo.exe pgm.

Message from ZoneAlarm says "remo.exe trying to act as a server" since I don't know what this is I deny this program.

I have a start up control program call codestuff starter. It is telling me the following

remo.exe has the description of Remo Personal Firewall and has 4 registry entries in starter.

I also have program lass32.exe with a description of Microsoftkeysds with 7 registry entries in starter.

Should I disable these programs from starting?

10. uconnfan

I can't say why daughter's school (University of Phoenix) support has caused her to be very insistent on her not having a Firewall. I have stopped having conversation with her on it because it goes nowhere. It is like banging your head on the brick wall you don't get any where with it and just end up with a headache.

I have found phone numbers for her school and may give them a call but I have feeling that because I am not their client I am going to get a dead response.

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I would actually write letters, not just make phone calls. Encourage them to support at least one firewall. Their VPN network will only ever be as secure as their least secure client, so by forcing their users to NOT use a firewall, they are compromising their OWN security and could potentially drive up their internal support costs if they end up infected. Not to mention liability.. what if a client ends up with a RAT or keylogger?

12. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

gaobot
    akosw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.