Two issues - Network and Selective Cloning

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jdavis77, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdavis77

jdavis77 Registered Member

I'm used to using Drive Image Pro.

I was easily able to CLONE partitions selectively, so I can copy *some* partitions from my main drive to a smaller backup drive.

I tried this with the Boot CD, not the Windows version. I prefer not booting up in windows with a backup drive attached, as it created drive letter problems with my partitions.

Am I not able to do this in TI. I'm getting a message saying it doesnt like the fact that the destination drive is SMALLER, and that ends the process. This is when the Manual partition size option is chosen .

I was expecting to get to a screen that allowed the same selectivity as Drive Image Pro, but no joy. is this a limitation of TI or is there something I can do.

Problem #2. Within windows, I have no problem accessing my computers on the peer to peer Network, via a Linksys (hardwired) router. One is Win 2000, the other XP.

Using the Boot CD, I cannot see the XP computer from 2000, either in the Network Browser, or using the full UNC using the XP's ip address and shared folder name.

This may not be a TI problem, as I've had this issue with other apps. Don't know why the network would operated perfectly under Windows 2000>XP, but not under your Boot environment .

Not being able to access the network using the boot CD, makes backing up under Windows rather pointless, as I'd never be able to restore in the event of a crash.

Any help here would be appreciated.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jdavis77,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

What version (and build) of Acronis Program do you use?

Could you please let us know sizes of the source drive and the destination drive? Please also tell me the free size of the source drive.

Please try the "acpi=off noapic" workaround and if it doesn't help please create sysinfo.txt file (please see Acronis post for the detailed instructions) and send to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. jdavis77

Version 889.

Tried the acpi=off noapic switch

Was able to access the Windows 98 computer from Acronis , only after typing in the IP (192.168.1.101), then it showed up with the computer name and directories as it should.

However, the XP box, refuses to show up. I turned off the XP Firewall. The XP and Win98 are able to browse each other , but Acronis Linux is unable to see the XP box.

What could be going on here?

About the other issue, is TI able to selectively clone partitions or not? The source drive if 80 gig, with nothing free. I am trying to copy some of its smaller partitions onto a 30 gig drive. Drive Image and Ghost are able to do this.

4. Acronis Support

Hello jdavis77,

Please note that you cannot clone a partition to the new hard drive, because "Clone Disk" wizard allows transferring the operating system, applications and data of an entire hard drive. You can create the image of a partition and restore it to the hard drive.

Also please update your copy of Acronis True Image 8.0 to the 903 build. In order to get access to updates you should register account on our site (or just log in if you have already created it) and then register your copy of the product. Than create a new Acronis bootable CD and see whether the problem persists. If the new build doesn't help please create the sysinfo.txt file and send it to support@acronis.com. We will investigate the problem and help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

5. jdavis77

Sorry to hear that TI does not have that functionality.

The other clone products do indeed allow you to clone any partitions individually. I can clone the C partition by itself, no problem, with Drive Image Pro. Frankly your product should be able to do this. It is a design flaw.

If I create an Image of Drive C, will that restore the Boot record so the drive is bootable?

6. Acronis Support

Hello jdavis77,

If you restore the image to the same place it was before then the drive will be bootable. However, if you restore the image to another drive you may need to fix MBR to make the drive bootable. The problem is that the MBR content is inlcuded into the image only in case you create and restore the image of the whole disk.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.