Two free version questions

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by Acadia, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ok, I think I'm gonna break down and try Returnil, at least the free version for now. Just two questions: can you use RAM to store the cache in the free version?

And, if any of you are also using FirstDefense-ISR the original full version, does Returnil's protection of the MBR mess with FDISR in any way, in other words, do these two excellent programs play nice together?

Thank you,
    Acadia

2. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I'm not sure of the answer to the first question. BUT Returnil & FDISR seem to work just fine together on my computer.

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks, Woody.

Acadia

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Acadia,
    RVS has two caching modes - memory and disk. This is true for both versions. The memory cache uses both RAM and disk whereas the disk cache uses only disk. The location of the cache at this point cannot be changed to an alternate location so the answer is no.

In version 3, we are exploring allowing alternate locations for the disk cache onto non-system partitions. I cannot say specifically if this will include RAM drives, but it should be a valid option in theory...

Mike

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thank you, Coldmoon, actually I worded my question incorrectly but I believe that you answered it anyway. I just wanted to make sure that I could use the RAM method of using Returnial in the free version, I would not be storing or saving anything, at least not to the protected Primary drive.

But I just thought of another question. If I have My Documents stored on another hard drive, would a Word doc be saved back to that second hard drive if I worked on it in my Primary drive while my Primary drive is protected by Returnil? Again, this would be the free version, for now, using the RAM.

Thanks again,
    Acadia

6. Coldmoon

If you move a System Folder (My Documents, Favorites, Desktop, etc) to an alternate partition or drive, it is no longer on the System Partition and as a result is no longer under the RVS protection feature. This means that any content you save to that folder will not be lost at restart.

The second part of your question is one of illusion and perception. Any document you create is really a virtual copy (regardless of having RVS protection on or off) until you specifically save it to disk. So opening WORD and starting a document means that the document will not really exist until you tell WORD to save that document somewhere and then it will exist in that location regardless of where you might open that document from.

HTH
    Mike

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thank you, Mike, I believe this is just what I was looking for, might try it this weekend if I can possibly find time. :cool:

Acadia

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Been having trouble getting into Returnil website since last evening, anyone else?

Acadia

9. Coldmoon

Hi,
    We are aware of the problem and it is being worked on. The site will probably be "in and out" until Tuesday (best estimate atm). Just try again after a period of time.

I will be around during the Passover/Easter holidays so you can still come here if you need assistance during this time...

Mike

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

:thumb:
    Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.