Two different IP addresses

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by SamSpade, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

Hi all,

I run behind a router off of a dsl modem. I am also using Google Desktop -- searches/indexing turned off, but using the clock, calender, weather report, and something called "My IP", which is supposed to show my IP address. This "My IP" is showing my address as: 192.xxx.x.xxx

I also am using Firefox's extension called, "External IP", and it shows me an address of: 78.xx.xx.xxx

Which of these IPs is my "real" IP, and why are there two completely different numbered sequences given for these two IP addresses??

-- Wondering Sam

|||

2. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

That 192 is your ip address in your network, the other is your ip address "worldwide"

3. SamSpade

Thank you, emperordarius.

Can you explain that in a bit more detail? What is the difference between my "network" and my "worldwide" address? When I contact a web server, like Wilders, for example, does the Wilders server see my "worldwide" address; and, if so, what is the purpose of my "network" address??

4. emperordarius

Yes websites will see the "worldwide" address. The network address is used to distinguish computers in the same network, while the "worldwide" address is used to trace your location and ISP.
    You can find more specific details at wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ip_address

5. SamSpade

OK, thanks.

Wikipedia. Who'd-a thunk it! Of course.

So, in practice, if my worldwide IP address is easily visible (as it seems to be when I go to a place like Steve Gibson's website), does that mean that anyone can pin-point exactly where I am?

Sam S

6. emperordarius

Yes! Try going to hxxp://www.ip-adress.com/ipaddresstolocation/ and you'll see how much can be understood from your ip!

7. SamSpade

So, how can I prevent this, or is that not a good idea?? I would think that only those places that *I* choose to visit -- and NOT anyone else -- should be able to see my address; and, even then, if it is possible I would like to control that even to some extent. Possible??

Sam A

8. emperordarius

Well you could use an ip hiding program (like the excellent Hide My IP 2008,the fastest I've seen, which is not free, unfortunately) or a very good free alternative, OperaTor (a combination of the Opera browser and the Tor service, slower of course but very good, you can find some tutorials on that in my youtube page youtube.com/emperordarius, if you want) or an online proxy service, but usually public ones are not so good. Be careful that some websites may not let you use proxies, for instance, wikipedia won't let you edit a page if you're using OperaTor or any other proxy (I know), and also remember that usually proxies are slow...

9. SamSpade

You mention slowing things down... does this Hide My IP slow things down? If so, how much? Would such hiding interfere in any way with normal internet usage? You mention working on Wiki, for example.

|||

10. emperordarius

Yeah well, you can grab a free trial of Hide MY IP and see by yourself, but when I tried it it slowed my web surfing a little, while other proxies were a lot slower...btw, OperaTor with me is in some cases fast as 3/4 of my normal surfing and sometimes 1/4, depends on the connection and websites...
    Ip hiding affects Web surfing speed, but sometimes changing the ip address may make softwares like Instant messengers not to log in- but not OperaTor, it's just a ip-hiding browser, so it just means slower browsing with that..

11. SamSpade

OK, then, to go back to square one: does this broadcasting of my IP address go *only* to those places that *I* choose to contact? I mean, I have to browse to some web address in order for my address to be broadcast to them, right? Or am I just broadcasting my address in general (somehow)??

|||

12. emperordarius

Your ip address is visible to any website you go.

13. SamSpade

OK, but scanners or other searching methods could not find me if I am using a good firewall, right? Iow, *I* have to initiate the contact in order to be read, true?

|||

14. emperordarius

The firewall doesn't hide your ip address, but you may be invisible to sniffers if your firewall uses a stealth method (which may make problems with p2p apps), however there must be some tools that could spot you even if your stealthed...but the important is that your firewall protects you from attacks:thumb:

15. SamSpade

OK, I've learned something today. Thanks very much, emperordarius. I'll have to think about the proxy thing. I do not usually surf to dangerous/nasty places, and I use an updated hosts file, and some other things, so I'm not sure I need to go the proxy IP route.

Sam Spade

|||

16. emperordarius

lol even If they know your ip they aren't actually going to your home and they won't be able to hack you :D

17. SamSpade

Good to know. Thanks very much.

|||

18. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    You might be find if you use a good firewall. But being found is nothing special. If your machine has no open ports AND vulnerable applications listening on those ports - in other words, if all your ports are closed - then you have nothing to worry about vis-a-vis your IP.

Stealthed or closed does not matter, it's just how the firewall treats the incoming packets - drops or rejects them.

Mrk

19. SamSpade

Thanks, Mrkvonic.

So even if someone knows where I am, if the firewall drops or rejects the data packets sent by that "someone", no harm done?

Doesn't matter how many intruding packets are sent my way?? Couldn't there be like a massive barrage of packets that might overwhelm a firewall??

Sam S

20. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

The chances are your badnwidth will cap far before your firewall crumbles under the weight of the attack. But personal denial-of-service attacks are very, very rare and isolated.

And regarding the brute-force hacking, things are so much simpler than people want to believe. If your firewall prevents unsolicited incoming connections, you're safe. Even if you have no firewall, but all your ports are closed, you're still safe.

That's it. Relax, enjoy.

Mrk

21. SamSpade

Sounds good :thumb: Thanks for your time and the exchange.

All your base.....

:cool:

|||

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.