Two AV on Computer

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by WilliamP, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I got rid of Norton 2002 because of problems with it disabling itself. I went to NOD32 Ver 2 because I felt it was a good AV . I also downloaded KAV Lite to use as a back up scanner. I have the KAV set to not load on start up. I got the KAV to scan for trojans since it is supposed to catch them better than NOD. I have since downloaded TDS3. My problem is that my system will lock up quite often when I am doing a backup or defrag. This started before TDS3 . Can having KAV Lite on the system, even not running be causing the problem?

2. WilliamP

I would like to add that I do temporarily disable NOD and TDS3 when I do these things.

3. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

If there's a running process your backup/defrag doesn't like, it might be causing a problem. You might still have something running in the background that the proggies don't like. If you can set any KAV services to "manual" temporarily, and reboot, you might be able to eliminate KAV as the "root of evil".

Same with NOD, for that matter.

HTH

4. WilliamP

KAV is set to not load and I disable everything else. I wanted to know if it could affect the system just being there and not loaded?

5. Technical

Technical Registered Member

Having two av at the same computer, even with the residents disable, can cause a lot of trouble. For a second av, just a "backup scanner", try BitDefender 7.0 FREE Edition (see info at http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?) ;)

6. AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster Registered Member

Considerations:

- Good to have different ways (from different developers) on how to attack/defend against the goal.
    - Bad to have multiple tasks attempting to do the same thing at the same time, competing for the same resources on a system. Conflict is bound to occur somewhere along the line.
    - Solution: Don't run them simultaneously, i.e.: Have one run as the "Resident" AV, and when "offline" use another AV to run a "full scan".

EDIT/ADD: WilliamP, you may want to consider disabling your AV just when you are doing backups...

7. WilliamP

KAV only runs when I do a Scan with it. The monitor doesn't load. And when I do a KAV scan I disable NOD.

8. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Some processes load regardless of being disabled or not.

Below is an example screenshot showing AVK and NOD disabled in the systray, and processes/services still merrily chugging away.

HTH

Attached Files:

• ex.jpg
      ex.jpg
      File size:
      32.5 KB
      Views:
  9. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Once a program is installed it is possible for drivers to load even if program is not set to start automatically and this is often a cause of conflicts.
    A perfect example is the firewall Zonealarm. Those you ever tried to unistall it without folllowing strict procedures will know what i mean.

10. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

This is one of the reasons that I prefer F-Prot for DOS as a backup on-demand AV. No installation. No drivers. No background processes. No registry entries. Just a stand-alone program that runs in a CMD or DOS window when you tell it to run.

11. WilliamP

I have removed KAV Lite. Since I have TDS3 I don't really need it. I had gotten it for trojans and shouldn't need it now.

12. Technical

Ok, you're write but BitDefender7.0 Free is better than F-Prot for DOS (see XP with NTFS system file...). BitDefender is a perfect "second" av... ;)

13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I used BDfree for a while. It DOES load at start-up. Also, it uses 8Mb of ram on *running processes* whether you do a scan with it or not. In other words, while the potential for conflict between BDfree & another AV is low, perhaps, it is not zero.

14. Technical

Of course you can solve this problem (see http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12316) ;)

15. WilliamP

I just wanted to get back on this post to possibly help someone who has the same problems. I remove KAV Lite. Wasted 20 dollars. Oh well you live and learn. I have noticed a definet differense. My defrag is back to normal. A lot faster and didn't hang. It is really strange how the combination of software will work on one computer but not on another. The best of luck. Thanks for the help.

16. Technical

What is your configuration (OS, firewall, spywares, etc.)...
    I have used McAfee, Norton, AVG, F-Prot and now, avast!
    Do you need some help or just want to stay with NOD32?

17. WilliamP

I have windows XP Home Edition. Norton firewall,Nod 32 , TDS3 Ad-Aware 181, Spy Bot. I seem to have this thing working good now,I would be leary about trying and AV on it ,unless it was F-Prot for Dos. Thank you for your offer of help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.