Twitter Hacked; 250,000 User Accounts Potentially Compromised

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by siljaline, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Article

2. What the hell? I thought at least Twitter would put in security measures to stop this.

3. siljaline

The information you require is there, the *compromised* accounts were minimal.

There are 500 million active accounts as of July 2012. That's a small footprint of compromised accounts.

Users were warned fairly quickly as Twitter was on the issue quickly from what I read and of the Twitter users I know. I have an active account that was not hacked.

That only required an account password reset. Such is life on social media and all the inherent risks. Twitter has robots on the service 24 x 7.

Anyone can follow Twitter and Twitter support on Twitter. The moment a user suspects an issue, it's a quick tweet to Twitter.

As I said, these are risks implied in social networking.

4. siljaline

Thanks to Mikko, CRO of F-Secure, an additional post Twitter hack recommendation:
    Don't open email from unknown or untrusted sources / always.

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I guess we can expect more celebrity nude pic scandals over the next month :D

6. Funny this happens after Moxie leaves Twitter, should of driven the money truck up to his house Twitter :cool:

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Who cares about Twitter. :D

8. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Sad, but the damage potential is limited. As they stated, the captured "passwords" were "encrypted/salted versions of passwords". Nonetheless, precaution is good.

Hundreds of millions of people, maybe more.

9. siljaline

Some like microblogging much good information, for those that understand and can use these services correctly, can provide a lot of breaking security information within these walls.

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I feel Twitter is more like a gimmick than anything. Even Facebook is a billion times better IMO. :)
    (PS. I don't use FB but that those means i consider it useless)

11. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

I fail to see the relevance of your personal feelings to your question "Who cares about Twitter".

Maybe Twitter is a gimmick for you, but you aren't alone in this world. Hundreds of millions use it for several different communication purposes, for instance.

But again maybe you think it's funny to jump in this thread only to tell us how your "feelings" are indicating that Twitter is useless compared to whatever, that it is a gimmick or whatever.

That is the only point I could think about after reading your posts in this thread.

Have fun, because knowledge or relevant info you certainly aren't spreading in this thread.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Gimmick or not, important news sometimes spreads like a wildfire on Twitter. So it surely is useful in many different ways.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.