Twister Antivirus 8 Arrived

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by guest, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Ah, i see your point. My advice:

1) Leave realtime heuristics to Basic.
    2) Put on demand heuristics to "Dynamic", it's a bit less paranoid compared to Max (Max finds 2 FP on my PC, Dynamic finds 1).
    3) Set in all scanners (through options), first action to "Report Only", second action "Quarantine".

1.png

In this way it will won't quarantine without your permission and when it finds a FP (usually by heuristics), you will be presented with a window with options and just select the file and click "Trust". This way it won't be quarantined and won't be flagged again.

There is also "Scan Trustlist" in options, where you can review and edit manually the trusted list.

2. Fuzzfas

One more thing. In the Quarantine menu, apart "Undo", there is also "Trust Undo" (Inside the Edit menu). Which i imagine is restoring+trusting the quarantined item at the same time. You may want to try that next time. My guess is that Twister's realtime was trying to re-quarantine your FP, at the same time you were asking it to restore it. Maybe the "Trust Undo" will be more effective. I haven't tried it, but i think it would work better.

EDIT: Thinking about it, i 'd do:
    - Set realtime scanner to first Quarantine, second Rename.
    - Set all other scanners to first report only, second quarantine.
    - Make Full scan, trust all false positives.
    - If anything new gets quarantined, use "Trust Undo" to get it out of jail.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  3. Baedric

Baedric Registered Member

Thanks for the help, but I am not running Twister AV atm. If I set any of the scanners above basic it would crash Twister AV, so when I was using it I left everything to basic. I cannot remember how I had quarantine set exactly, but I do know that once I restored the files, they were not placed back in quarantine, but the program they were associated with was broken.

4. Fuzzfas

Well, you can give it a try when the next program update comes out. Could be that Twister has a conflict with something else in your PC, making it go crazy. On my PC, quarantine works as expected. I am pretty sure that Twister isn't tested yet on many enviroments. In the chinese forum a user complained that Twister did something to his Chrome. I use Iron (Chrome based) and didn't have anything weird about it. So it is obvious that Twister is really still in a beta stage, where the unexpected bugs are coming out.

5. Baedric

Agreed on the beta stage. I will patiently wait for improvements and watch this thread. I am not into running beta atm.

6. clocks

clocks Registered Member

The spikes do not bother me as much as the fact that the program uses more CPU than anything else on my PC. The other AVs I use, don't use anywhere close to the CPU time. Yeah the spikes are bad, but even it's average/regular cpu usage is very high.

7. Fuzzfas

Inside Windows, mine gets 0-2% when i open directories. The big spikes i have them with certain websites browsing or when it tries to scan not cached big directories (for example, a directory full of images, it was spiking a lot. After the full scan that it was cached, it stays at 0%).

What i find more interesting, is that the service reads all the time from the disk (i/o reads keep climbing every second). Right now i have only this browser tab open and encoding a video and it's reading non-stop. Maybe it scans every new bit of the encode that it's coming out? I don't know, but that is more bizarre for me. Unless there is something going on with the fact that i have Rollback and since everything must pass from Rollback's driver, Twister is trying to scan all time what Rollback is doing. I will see what happens after the encode finishes.

8. Fuzzfas

Maybe i am becoming paranoid about this, but shouldn't an AV stop accessing the hard disk, when nothing happens? Twister keeps rising in i/o reads no matter what. I stopped everything, it kept reading. I rebooted and done nothing, it kept reading the disk... o_O I am gonna install back Lavasoft just to see if others do that.

I added to the "trust" list Twister's own processes, WinPatrol's entire folder as well as Rollback's entire folder, but nothing. I don't know why it loves accessing the disk so much.

Anyway, i emailed again Mr. Chu about this and also about the fact of EVANet, to try and understand better how it is supposed to work.

Damn it, i m trying hard Twister to use you, but give me a hand here!

9. Fuzzfas

Yup, Lavasoft when system is idle, doesn't read the disk... I am tired of changing back and forth the WinPatrol avatar, i m staying with Twister's... But i m staying with Lavasoft for now, until further notice.

10. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I didn't know excessive read/write bytes with Twister 8. The only issue I had with it, beside some FPs which I could deal with, was the CPU time.

I know where you are coming from, as the program has it's charms, but I'll prob wait a couple years till they re-write the AV engine. As is, I would only use it with just the defense wall enabled.

11. Fuzzfas

Not writes, just reading frequently. I 'd gladly take v7 back, if only it would support x64. I 've waited for a year for v8 to come out and support x64, i don't want to wait another before it comes out of beta...

12. Fuzzfas

BTW, i got the idea to monitor i/o reads, because i "felt" a sort of slowdown when opening folders... I am pretty sensitive to that and soon enough, i saw that Twister never ceases to read... Even when you 've the PC idle for 5 minutes.

13. Fuzzfas

Just FYI, i got again word from Mr Chu and.

1) As suspected, EVANET works, but only for launched applications, not static scan.
    2) The HDD activity could be because of the registry protection.

14. Baedric

So can I ask Fuzzfas, from when you contact support, how long does it take to get a response?

15. Fuzzfas

I don't contact support, i contact mr Chu in his unofficial email. Normally the other times i think it was between 35-48h. This time i sent the mail at 23 December and got reply today.

16. Baedric

Are you running Twister AV, or just testing it in Virtual?

17. Fuzzfas

No, i am not running it currently (see my signature). I had tried it when i posted about it earlier. I won't try it again until the next program update comes out. It still needs ironing out.

18. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Build 8.16 was released a couple days ago. Anyone running it?

19. Fuzzfas

8.16 has been out for months.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2156382&postcount=36

Now, either this is 8.17 mislabeled or it's still 8.16 and they simply changed date (maybe integrated more signatures in the installer?).

I can't find a changelog in the chinese forum. Most discouraging, there is finally, someone complaining about high resources and a bunch of guys telling him "it's so light"!

http://ftfans.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=4651&extra=page=1

People should move on from 2002 to 2013, where RAM isn't anymore the only thing that determines what is light.

20. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Oh, ok. Glad I didn't waste my time testing it again.

21. Tony

Tony Registered Member

22. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Twister Antivirus 8

Good - x64

Bad - Much

Twister Antivirus 7

Bad - No x64

Good - Much

How do you even do this? :)

23. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Is it also ugly?
    :D

24. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Compared to V7, so so ugly. It's like they took everything that was great and bloated it out into a mess of user interfaces and extras. Nobody needs a UI, and another "Full Screen" UI. Just one will do.

25. guest

guest Guest

i like classic interface but dont like animated interface.

i dont like evanet, it upload same files again and again. and it is not true cloud, it is only for file transfer to Filseclab. it retrieve result but only for info and next signature update. it is not like CIS etc cloud.

And it upload Windows own files, Why? i dont like this.

Scan speed is very good.

Malware VM is not powerfull as they say. But signature dedection is amazing. i tested it many times with fresh samples, dedection rate always %98+. (Better than some major AV)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.