Twister-AntiTrojenVirus Thread.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Taliscicero, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Is there a way of Twister being able to run for LUA?
    So far this seems to be the only deal breaker for me buying the program.

Can anyone confirm the the online submission is working as at the moment i get an error "cannot connect to the server"

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

No idea on question #1. I use SBIE -- no need for LUA.

As to question #2 - online connections to TAV's servers are working just fine for me.

3. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

(1) I would guess install it as an admin then set it to run on a limited account.

(2) They are perfectly fine check your firewall settings ^^

4. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply bellgamin and 3DFireStarteR :)

(1) Thanks, i will try that shortly.

(2) The online scan and submission is working fine this morning.
    It updated okay yesterday but the online scan and submission would not connect despite disabling the firewall.

So far i am liking Twister.
    I have been trying the set up as suggested by 3DFireStarteR but i have chose to keep `Virus infection defence` and `Virus immunity` disabled.

5. Taliscicero

Very wise, if you have it the way i have with these settings disabled it will lower the FP count, the only reason i like them is because i have an agressive setup :D I'm glad you like the program so far.

One of the best fetures of twister is that malware authors don't write scripts to disable it since its relatively unknown ^^

6. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

For those that use Twister, how do you think its behaviour blocker compares to say other programs such as ThreatFire and Mamutu?

Do you think it's as quick to respond/alert on malicious activity?

7. bellgamin

At one time or another I have used all 3 -- TF, Mamutu, & FDDS (the behavior blocker component of Twister).

Of course, there is no way that a mere user can compare the number & type of behavioral checks built into these 3 applications, because they do not put all of their respective defaults on view.

Differences that I know of are...

1- When it comes to setting "user-defined rules", TF & Mamu are far more configurable than FDDS.

2- Mamu & TF use "community" inputs as part of their strategy for identifying malware as well as helping to avoid FPs. FDDS does not have this feature.

3- Over & above its behavioral checks, TF also includes & uses the signatures of PCTools Antivirus. FDDS is mated with the Twister Antivirus. Mamu does not have an antivirus component.

On rare occasions I run TAV (including FDDS) together with Mamu when I am surfing extremely dangerous waters. At those times -- with very rare exceptions -- all Mamu alerts are matched by FDDS alerts. Mamu always pops-up its alerts a teeny bit faster than FDDS. Both Mamu & FDDS are prone to give FPs, but FDDS usually pops a few more FPs than does Mamu.

8. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Thank you. :)

9. Tony

Tony Registered Member

It seems the only way to get Twister to run in a limited user account is by running it as Administrator once logged onto the LUA.

o_O

10. Taliscicero

Not sure, i dont run it as LUA, ;/ you could try asking here.

http://filseclab.com/eng/msgboard/portal.asp

11. Tony

Tony Registered Member

I will do that then thanks 3DFireStarteR :thumb:

12. Tony

Tony Registered Member

I asked 48 hours ago now.
    I also asked again last night just in case the message never got through.

Hopefully they will provide a solution.

13. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Had a reply this morning.

Unfortunately Twister cannot run with a Limited user account but they hoping to solve this in the future.

A pity as i do like this program.
    I may still however buy a lifetime license as should and when they fix the lua problem, it does represent good value.

14. Taliscicero

Too bad about the LUA, good to see they are working on it thou, and its a good investment ^^

15. Zetelo

Zetelo Registered Member

I wonder when they will stop selling lifetime licences...

as soon as possible I hope so we can profit from it even more :D

16. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Where else can you get a lifetime license for that price? More profit? You rather pay that amount every year? o_O

17. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

No, Zetelo is saying the opposite. He ALREADY has a Twister license. HIS gain, will be even bigger, when Twister stops lifetime licenses. Because when they do that, his license will be worth many $$$, that OTHERS will have to pay, but HE won't , since he already has the lifetime license.

18. Big Apple

ok, I misunderstood. ;)

19. bellgamin

"Lifetime"?? WHOSE lifetime -- mine or the company's? :D

If the company goes belly-up, a lifetime license becomes meaningless.

P.S. I bought the lifetime license. Since I am 78, it's an endurance race to see who lasts longer -- me, or Filseclab. :argh:

20. Fuzzfas

:argh: Well, for me, even if they close in 2 years from the moment i bought the license, it means i paid 12,5 euros per year more or less for an extra lightweight AV. So i won't complain about it.

BTW, i wish you to outlive Filseclab ! :argh: :thumb:

It would be also interesting, if there was a chinese poster to tell us if Filseclab has a decent userbase in China.

21. Big Apple

I bet it'll be you.......as you sound young at heart to me! ;)

22. Zetelo

Zetelo Registered Member

I'm a chinese who used to live in china for about 4 years and I've never seen this antivirus. I've often visited big computer markets at weekends but you can only find KAV, Norton and Rising there. It's quiet unknown...

23. Fuzzfas

Thanks Zetelo! Bad news, but thanks anyway. Gee, Norton made it there already too... :eek:

Bellgamin, after these news, don't you dare let Filseclab win the endurance race! :thumb:

24. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Thanks for the information. I would use Rising, especially since it is free. I would have a hard time paying for such an unknown product like Twister though. Lifetime memberships mean nothing to me, since the one product I paid for with a lifetime membership was bought out weeks later.

25. bellgamin

Kingsoft is a major Sino-based AV. So also is Jiangmin. See lead paragraph HERE.

Lack of information about HUGE market share of these 2 major Sino-based security software producers indicates poster has limited/insignificant information about this matter.

I cannot find sales statistics for Filseclab. However, I do know that I used Filseclab's firewall for several months back in 1998, so I conclude that Filseclab has sustained its existence for at least 10+ years. Even their English-language website (filseclab.com) has been up & running for over 5 years. IMO, this is a well-established company with proven staying power. (However, I said the same thing about General Motors not too long ago.)

The structure of Twister makes it seem evident that Filseclab has successfully "read the tea leaves" to discern that the future of stand-alone *pure* antivirus programs is not so good. Filseclab obvious has reacted to this fact because Twister incorporates a behavior blocker & registry protection over & above its antivirus component.

Twister's "layered protection" is one reason I decided to buy it. Even mighty Avira (my *other AV*) lacks Twister's broad spectrum of layered protection.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.