Tweak UI disabled by administrator?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by george75, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. george75

george75 Registered Member

Dear Wilderssecurity guys:

I just got a simple Microsoft XP Pro message when I tried to run Microsoft's Powertoys for XP Tweak UI. It said 'Tweak UI has been disabled by your administrator.' Since I'm the only one using of the computer and since I'm running under administrator privilege, obviously something has gotten set the wrong way. I use a lot of hardening software, and it is never clear to me what piece of it is going to do what. I believe that the only difference is that I downloaded a new copy of Tweak UI from Hippo on the assumption that it might be a newer version and then reinstalled. Anyone know where I should look to find what is blocking the execution of the program, and how to change the setting?

Thanks.

george75

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

3. george75

george75 Registered Member

Rmus--

Thanks for the Microsoft link. On the one hand it's always better to get things from the horse's mouth if you can; on the other hand there were a lot more interesting toys to download.

As for the problem at hand: I had used some hardening software to deny the use of regedit--since I use reghance. Little did I know. It is required by Tweak UI. By the time I had figured out what the issue was, I was damaged my installation by removing Sygate Personal Firewall. When I reinstalled it, it crashed every time it ran. Ultimately the only solution was to go back to a partition image and then bring it forward. Be careful is the message.

Thanks again.

george75

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.