tvDebug.log file gone nuts in ZAP

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Page42, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Just a heads up for any ZAP users who may be inexplicably running out of HD space. Or maybe you have acres of HD space and haven't even noticed anything unusual, except maybe full image back ups are growing in size at too fast of a pace.

Since recently upgrading to ZAP 9.1.008.000, I started noticing a radical growth in hard drive space usage, and when I searched for large files, I found tvDebug.log had grown to over 3GB.

A subsequent Google search turned up some eye-opening stories of this file and instructions on how to change the ZAP debug default level, or to just switch it off. The user in the linked post found his tvDebug.log file had reached 10GB!

Interestingly, my size level was set to default on both machines, and only one was experiencing this bizarre growth. I have followed instructions and turned the debug log off, and all appears well once again. Now I just have to figure out if I really want to spend the time looking into what in the world was causing this sort of endless loop logging on that machine.

Maybe this will help someone. :)

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Good find. That file is only used for troubleshooting by ZA tech staff and can always be re-enabled if indeed in contact with tech staff and asked for it.

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Thanks, Cudni. Yes, finding that 3GB file was a bit of a shock. I don't have much wiggle room on that pc's HD, so the 3GB usage was sticking out like a sore thumb. ;)

4. fax

fax Registered Member

Usually abnormal logging of ZA points to a specific conflicts with system or other programs running. Turning OFF logging remove the symptoms but not the disease (like an aspirin :) ) .

It may be good to check what are the differences between the two systems and if you are running specific software that is not executed on the other machine.

Booting selectively the system also can help to find the culprit (with MSCONFIG). First only ZA and standard MS software and services and then the rest.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Fax

5. zip

zip Registered Member

tvDebug.log file gone nuts in ZA Free, too!:'(

Because of tvDebug.log growing so huge I switched first to PC Tools Firewall plus, but that was a disaster. I'm now with Outpost 2009 v651 Free.

I can't wait for CheckPoint to fix the tvDebug.log growth problem so I can go back to ZA Free.:'(

6. zip

zip Registered Member

I'm running MSE & Outpost 2009 Free on my XP sp3 box till ALWIL fixes avast! 5 for XP sp3.

Avast! 5 Free works great on 7 64bit.

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Why wait for that? Just switch it off!

1. Press Cntrl and Shift and Rt- click on the ZA icon in sys tray.
    2. Choose set debug level.
    3. Click on Off radio at debug categories.
    4. Turn off ZAP.
    Delete tvdebug.log. It resides at C:\Your Win folder\Internet logs
    5. Restart your PC

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I understand your point, but I prefer to think it's a bug in ZAP, not a problem with my computer. :)

By the way, I removed ZAP from that computer last night... a thorough uninstall with the /clean switch, safe mode deletions of internet logs, ZoneLabs program files and system32 dlls, and registry deletions. I'm running with just the Windows firewall for awhile, to see how that machine performs without ZAP. If it does well, it may be the beginning of the end of ZoneAlarm on my computers.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  9. fax

fax Registered Member

Well, I am sure it will do well. Windows firewall is native and with no ZA comparable outbound protection (in XP). So, a different product with a different protection scope. Adding ZA is adding a layer, adding a layer means also a different degree of resource use. :)

IMO, stand alone firewalls are destined to die in the next 3-7 years in favour of more integrated solutions. Too much troubleshooting, after the first excitments normal users (not wilders users) get fed-up of keep tuning their systems.

Fax

10. zip

zip Registered Member

Thank you, Page42, I'm back with ZA Free. :cool:

I'm also back with avast! 5 Free & very happy.

Will post in "other av's" the fix for avast! not running.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.