Tutorial to setup Nod32 for Incredimail.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Racephotos, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Racephotos

Racephotos Registered Member

I am a new member so please forgive me if the answer is obvious.

Is there a tutorial or instructiion sheet on the forum of how to ensure Nod32 checks incoming emails for Incredimail?

I am lead to believe it defaults to check incoming\sent emails in Outlook Express, but not Incredimail.

Any help much appreciated.

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

NOD32 by default checks the necessary ports for POP3 email, which is primarily what Incredimail is used for.

Then, under the NOD32 Advanced Setup:

Go to Antivirus and Spyware | Email Protection | POP3 | Email Clients.

This will bring up a list of programs. Make sure that Incredimail is checked. If you do not see it in the list, then click on "Add" and browse for it (default location is c:\program files\incrdimail).

That should do it

3. Racephotos

Thanks for that Capp, much appreciated.

I was almost there. When I navigared to C:\Program Files\Incredimail I was not given the opportunity to save it.

I had to "Open" the folder which gave me the "bin" folder.

When I opened this I found the following files:
    ImApp
    ImLpp
    ImNotfy
    ImpCnt
    ImSetup
    IncMail

Do you know which one I should select so the Nod32 will scan incoming emails in Incredimail?

Kind regards.

4. Capp

Capp Registered Member

It has been a long time since I used Incredimail last, but I would almost swear that it is the IncMail.exe file. That is the main app and calls the other files from within it.

You do have to choose a specific file for this instance, you can't just do a specific directory because it has to know with .exe to watch for.

5. Racephotos

Thanks for staying on my case Capp.

Done as you said. Everything now configured as you suggested.

Just a little unsure though if it is really working. I have just received a couple of emails and there is no suggestion that they have been scanned by Nod32.

On my second PC, where I have AVG, it does state on received emails that they have been scanned by AVG.

Further help will be much appreciate.

Thank you.

6. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Here is something for you to check:

Go under the Advanced Setup tree again.
    Click on "Antivirus and Antispyware", then "Email Protection"

Make sure the checkbox at the top that says "Enable Email Protection" is checked. Then, you can click the "Setup" button to make sure you have it configured the way you want.

You can set it so that it will append a message to every single email, telling you it has been scanned.

Or you can do like I have in my setup (shown in screenshot), to only do something if there is an actual infection found.

HTH

Attached Files:

• nod.JPG
      nod.JPG
      File size:
      61 KB
      Views:
  7. Racephotos

Fantastic. Success.:D

A really big thank you Capp.

The attached image did the trick.

Now that I have configured the settings as you suggested I am now getiing the confirmation note at the bottom of the email to say it has been scanned by Nod32.

I really, really appreciate all the help you have given me.

Kind regards

Bryan

8. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Isn't Incredimail adware?

9. Racephotos

Hi Biscuit
    Thanks for your concern.
    Yes, I know there are reports as such to be found on the Internet (Steve Gibson for one), but I have been using Incredimail for the past six years, way before I was made aware of this.
    In all that time my PC has never been compromised - fingers crossed, not wanting to tempt fate.
    I daily run scheduled malware and adware checks and I have never had anything showing up to alarm me.
    I do visit more likely "dodgy" web sites such as Torrent, where I really need to have my wits about me.
    Kind regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.