Tutanota Germany-based encrypted webmail

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by dogbite, Jul 6, 2014.

1. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

right, it lacks many features. However they are working to improve. End of April they will release a new web-app with more features.
    For me it's already kinda usable because I used it as my primary address, so I get only "important" emails. Not many. For the newsletter, junk, etc. I have an openmailbox.org account also because I can access it via IMAP (Cloudmagic app on iOS), which is not possible for Tutanota.

2. StillBorn

StillBorn Registered Member

Too bad Countermail doesn't offer a freebie like Protonmail and Tutanota. I've recently opened an account with both of the aforementioned and I must say that the GUI for Tutanota is so simple it comes across as downright cheesy for its lack of features and complexity. Aside from that minor quibble, my one and only interest in these services is to stick it The Man (i.e. the ever increasing insatiable appetite of Big Brother to stick his nose in your shyiat.) Granted, pretty much the entire content of my e-mails to my contacts ranges from the frivolous to pure balderdash (yes.. arguably like all of my postings here at Wilders). Still... if the aforementioned services manage to get Big B's panties in a bunch... a happy camper am I.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  3. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

I'm feeling that Tutanota is focusing quite a lot on their Outlook plugin for business, which is where they make their cash. Perhaps the web interface is lower priority because of that? Unfortunately, for me, that business pricing is rather too steep.

4. StillBorn

StillBorn Registered Member

@deBoetie I'm actually gratified to see that they're being funded from somewhere as opposed to a free-loader such as myself. Hey, if it works and they're good at what they do..! For longevity's sake, vive' le business model.

5. dogbite

Also they are going to introduce pay options for increasing storage from the free 1GB.

6. guest

guest Guest

Tutanota,

testing it for some days but don't know what to think about it.
    Using a desktop computer, so there is no need for Android or Apple apps.

EMail name and password always have to be entered manually,
    saved password won't enter automatically.

The program surface itself looks, well, lousy.
    No indication how many mails are in the folders.
    No way to get info of the mail routing.
    Up to now, I am unable to copy mails from the account to a harddisk folder.
    There is actually no print option. Using the browser print - forget it.

I mailed Tutanota, but no answer.

The mailing itself seems to work flawless.
    End to end crypting and use of a given password works.

They claim, beta phase has ended. I don't believe it.

Frank

7. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

There's also the fact that they're not Tor friendly :(

8. cb474

cb474 Registered Member

@guest You can make suggestions to Tutanota here: https://tutanota.uservoice.com/forums/237921-generalI've found them to be very responsive. They are a small team and they seem to be working hard to add features as quickly as they can.That said, I think you may need to lower your expectations, They are focusing and providing a service that does privacy and security well. Those are the features they're working on first. I don't know that they're trying to be the most fully blown email service with every feature under the sun. It's a lot to do.The reason Google, et. al., can provide as many features as they do is because they are making money off of our data. That's their business model. Entice people with great features and functionality, that cost tons of money to develop, and then exploit our personal data for marketing purposes.If you want a free service, you may not get as many features.But in any case, if you look at Tutanota's Uservoice page, you can see that have a lot of new features planned and you can make your own suggestions.

9. guest

guest Guest

@cb474
    Thank you for the link

I agree, the main thing is security, and that seems to be better than other mailers.

The biggest no-no is, I cannot save any mails to my computer.
    I have to login everytime I want to re-read a mail.

Somewhere I read, it will work under Tor. Have not tried it myself.

Ok, my comment is somewhat harsh :oops:
    Still, I would recommend everyone to try it out.

Frank

10. dogbite

I have got a 5GB bonus, however I have reverted to Gmail as my primary address. I will keep the tuta account and start using it again as primary as soon as more features are there.

11. mirimir

It "works" using Tor. And you can create an account. But the next day, the account is gone :(

12. deBoetie

I take it you're aware that they have an Outlook plugin; and that this is offered under a paid-for business contract.  My feeling is that they are likely focussed on getting that solid because that pays the bills (and I'd speculate, they have a couple of corporates they are wooing) - so the hard & never-ending work of getting a slick web-based interface is likely lower priority.  To reflect, as a developer, browser-based development with javascript is like shelling peas with boxing gloves on.  The critical crypto libraries for javascript are also not fully battle-hardened with years of real-world experience - granted that they are mainly direct ports from other libraries.

13. badsector

badsector Registered Member

good for illegal activities.. tor + nuking the account by tutanota it self leaving no trace...
    "tutanota, supporting illegal activies, since day one" xD

14. cb474

cb474 Registered Member

It does seem a little odd for a privacy based service. Does this suggest they're logging IP addresses? On the other hand, I guess accounts created through Tor are likely to be used as spam accounts, maybe? Though without IMAP or POP interfaces, it seems like it would be hard to use Tutanota for bulk emailing.

Hmm, I did find this suggestion to make a Tor hidden service for Tutanota: https://tutanota.uservoice.com/forums/237921-general/suggestions/6916068-tor-hidden-service. It's marked as "under review," which suggests that Tutanota is not totally against Tor.

15. mirimir

Well, Wilders does the same thing. They do it to reduce spam. I have no problem with that.

But it's disingenuous for a privacy-focused email provider to do that. VFEmail, which doesn't especially promote itself to the hardcore privacy community, doesn't do that. They even have a Tor hidden service for webmail.
    That would be funny, if they still nuked accounts created via Tor. Time will tell.

16. cb474

cb474 Registered Member

Hmm, I created an account yesterday through the Tor browser and it still works today. I'll try again later and see if it keeps working.

17. mirimir

Maybe I was just unlucky. Or maybe they've been reading my complaints ;)

18. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

I would expect anyone who was really trying to provide privacy and security would not be operating a web browser based email service.

19. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

Why do we have to send email through an email provider anyway ? Why cant we send it directly from our own computer to the recipients email provider ?
    I see the reason for receiving email through a provider, we might be offline when it is sent but why do we have to also send it that way ?

20. mirimir

You can run a mailserver. If it's offline for a while, there will be retries for incoming mail.

21. cb474

cb474 Registered Member

Just as an update, I tried the Tutanota account again today, that I opened and have only accessed through the Tor web browser, and it's still working.

22. mirimir

Thanks for checking. I'll test again and report.

23. guest

guest Guest

Since some weeks a public beta is available:
    https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/secure-mail-public-beta-release
    It now supports 2FA via U2F and TOTP.

A quick summary (more details in the above link):
    Secure mails can be read in dark theme
    Added to our very light GUI, Tutanota now also supports a dark theme - one of the most voted for features by our community.

Automatic synchronization of your secure mails
    Tutanota beta now supports full synchronization so that the Tutanota beta mailbox can be used simultaneously on several devices or in several browsers without any issue.

2FA to further secure your mail login
    To further secure your mail login we have now added two-factor authentication (2FA) via U2F and TOTP.
    2FA makes sure that no-one can access your secure mail account even in the unlikely case that they get access to your login password (e.g. by hiding a keylogger on your device).
    Please note: 2FA is not yet available in the Tutanota iOS & Android apps

Security features added to beta mail client
    While Tutanota already uses sanitizers to prevent XSS attacks on the Tutanota client, the now added CSP helps to further reduce XSS risks on modern browsers by declaring what dynamic resources are allowed to load via a HTTP Header.
    This makes it impossible for attackers to inject malicious code into the Tutanota mail client.

Top SSL rating for Tutanota mail client
    Our SSL certificate is an extended validation certificate, and Tutanota also supports DNSSEC, DANE, DMARC, DKIM, PFS & STARTTLS.

New mail client is open source

24. deBoetie

The U2F support is great news, I think it's the first in this space, and long overdue.

U2F has some good privacy features and the dongles are cheap.

25. Beyonder

Beyonder Registered Member

Does anyone know if they will ever get a less silly domain? Spelling out "tutanota" over the phone is pure agony, for example. Also looks terrible on the resume and similar other "important" places.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.