Turning off update reminders for Flash and others

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by idbit, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idbit

idbit Registered Member

When I turned on my computer this morning, I was greeted with a Flash update reminder. I went ahead and updated. But I prefer to update manually. I have an older Pentium 4 system, so I like to keep things lean - with minimal things running in the background. Does anyone know if there's a way to turn off all such reminders in Windows XP SP3? Maybe a Service? Or maybe just turn off the Flash reminder? That seems to be the only one bugging me.

Thanks!
    -IB

2. philby

philby Registered Member

This will do it.

philby

3. idbit

idbit Registered Member

Thanks! That did it for Flash. They make you jump through a couple hoops. You have to find a website first that uses Flash, then right-click on the flash object for your settings. There I turned off auto-update and changed a couple other things. It looks like you have to do it separately for Firefox and Internet Explorer. I updated in FF first, then on a hunch checked it in IE. Sure enough, my settings weren't saved there. So I set again in IE. Then rechecked FF and my settings were saved there. So I think that should hold.

It has me wondering though what other programs have reminders running in the background. If I goto msconfig and check Startup, Flash isn't there. Yet the reminder was running. Is there any other place to look?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.